Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
How can I improve my writing?

gs675

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 12:21 am
Hi there lovely ladies,
I'm in awe a lot of the time how so many of you express yourselves so beautifully and eloquently. How can I improve my own writing?

crust

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 12:30 am
Following...
I'd love to have an honest critic.

Lizzie4

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 12:30 am
Read! Even if you don't enjoy reading, reading has been known to improve ones grammar and spelling.

imasinger

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 3:53 am
I agree. Reading is great, particularly if you read things that are well written. Ask your local librarian for advice finding well written books that you might enjoy.

Sadly, there are very few in the Jewish light reading genre that are examples of good writing.

You can also take classes, or read books about writing. Then, be willing to apply what you've learned.

Whenever I write something, I read it and edit it multiple times. That's another important piece to good writing -- reviewing and changing. Good writing is more about being willing to put in the work than about natural talent.

Crust, what are you talking about? You write beautifully!

crust

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 9:07 am
Thanks imasinger.
I would love to hone my skills. I do read a lot so that wouldn't help too much.
I would love to have an honest critic.

Read my paragraph above. I didn't give much thought to it but when I reread it, I know it needs editing. I used the words I'd love to twice. Isn't it too much?

imasinger

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 9:10 am
It depends.

Sometimes, using the same words repeatedly strengthens your case.

Are you interested in some good resources on the art of writing?

crust

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 9:11 am
Yes imasinger

tf

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 10:20 am
The book "reading and writing about short fiction" by Edward Proffitt, published by Harcourt, brace,and janovich has helped me.

emzod42

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 10:28 am
I'm a fan of On Writing Well by William Zinnser if you're looking for a book with some tips on writing craft (I think it's also an interesting read).

petiteruchy

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 11:51 am
I'm a decent writer, although I've never done it for pay. I'm also a high school literature teacher so I spend an awful lot of time reading other people's writing.

Reading a huge variety of materials is very important. Obviously it's important to read novels, short stories, poetry as well as non-fiction articles and information texts, but even forum posts can be very enlightening. Reading how different people express a variety of ideas and arguments will help you craft well-balanced phrases and expand your vocabulary. I used to read mostly fiction (I was an obsessive novel reader into my 20s) but now I mostly read non-fiction and a lot of it's online.

I really like reading opinion pieces on topics where I have a strong opinion already. I look at how the author has built up their case, paying attention to the types of examples they use, the order of the arguments and the emotional appeals they use. If I strongly agree or disagree with their ideas, I pay attention to which parts have an especially strong effect. It's also really interesting to search out people's responses to said article or topic. I like to see how other people are reacting to the writing... maybe there's a component I overlooked or interpreted differently. All that critical thinking sharpens your attention to detail and enables you to be more deliberate.

Finally, practice! The internet is a great place to get your writing out there, especially in a fairly anonymous setting. Join forums on topics that interest you and write posts. Respond to articles - either through comments or in a response piece. Try to find spaces where people don't just write mindlessly but where real, thoughtful and deliberate debate is going on. If you want to write fiction or poetry, same thing applies, but you'll need to find the appropriate forum to get feedback and read other people's work.

Be critical of your own and other people's writing. You don't necessarily need to critique it out loud, but as you read anything (an article in a newspaper, a novel, an amother's post!) think about how they could have improved their work. Do the same for yourself. Check your spelling. Make sure you have used the most appropriate vocabulary. Correct sentences that are awkward or repetitive. Think about your paragraph choices!

petiteruchy

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 11:55 am
My biggest weakness is my wordiness! If I went back and edited my piece above, I'd cut at least 6 lines. Knowing when to stop is just as hard as knowing what to say in the first place! But of course that comes back to my point about editing and being critical.

imasinger

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 12:01 pm
Excellent article and recommendations.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7489272

rainbow

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 1:10 pm
I spend approximately three to four hours of editing for every hour of writing.

The above sentence was edited at least twice, and this sentence was edited once :-)

I'd say editing is key. Get your skeleton onto the paper/screen, then get to work on editing.

crust

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 4:15 pm
petiteruchy wrote:
My biggest weakness is my wordiness! If I went back and edited my piece above, I'd cut at least 6 lines. Knowing when to stop is just as hard as knowing what to say in the first place! But of course that comes back to my point about editing and being critical.

Here you go!!
This is what I'm struggling with.

Last edited by crust on Wed, Aug 09 2017, 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

oliveoil

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 4:22 pm
emzod42 wrote:
I'm a fan of On Writing Well by William Zinnser if you're looking for a book with some tips on writing craft (I think it's also an interesting read).

Yup. This is the gold standard.

oliveoil

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 4:42 pm
rainbow wrote:
I spend approximately three to four hours of editing for every hour of writing.

Editing is key, but this ratio is extreme.

rainbow

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 4:47 pm
oliveoil wrote:
Editing is key, but this ratio is extreme.

Yeah, I thought so too. I think I exaggerated. It's probably less. I edit a piece numerous times, in much the same way as someone would comb and re-comb a head of nits or lice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics