Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Does a garage need a mezuza?

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Aug 05 2017, 11:16 pm
Do you need to put a mezuza on a garage?

Post Sat, Aug 05 2017, 11:20 pm
Yes

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 12:51 am
Squishy wrote:
Yes

Really? I'm surprised. I would have considered a garage to be more like a closet or bathroom. Unless it's been converted into a living area like a game room or guest bedroom, I would think it wouldn't need one.

(I am not a rabbi.)

mha3484

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 12:55 am
My husband is a sofer. Garages need. If your closet is the size of a garage it also needs a mezuza.

agreer

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 1:28 am
Most garages are larger than closets, so yes.

I learned that if a closet is large or has a window, it needs a mezuzah.

abaker

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 1:36 am
Our detached garage does not have. Our rav said attached garages need though.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 2:24 am
mha3484 wrote:
My husband is a sofer. Garages need. If your closet is the size of a garage it also needs a mezuza.

I have a family member who is a sofer too. And yes, he has mezuzos on the garage, and on walk-in closets, which are large enough to need a mezuzoh.

clowny

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 2:38 am
Afaik, a walk in closet needs a mezuzah too. We have mezuzah on walk in closet and garage as well.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 3:04 am
I don't have in walk-in closet. I get dressed there and didn't want the hassle of having to watch out from the mezuza

Iymnok

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 3:57 am
Any room that is not a bathroom that is 4x4 Amos needs a mezuza. That includes a closet, storage room, garage, laundry room...
if you are concerned about changing in front of it, the mezuza should have a double covering. They are usually wrapped in plastic then inserted into the cover. Just make sure that that cover isn't glass. We are makpid on that for all the bedrooms since I can't keep children covered at all times.

cm

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 6:50 am
I learned no, unless the garage is generally used as the entrance to the house. We do not use mezuzahs on closets, storage space, etc.

So, AYLOR.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 8:47 am
Why not?

clowny

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 11:12 am
cm wrote:
I learned no, unless the garage is generally used as the entrance to the house. We do not use mezuzahs on closets, storage space, etc.

So, AYLOR.

If garage is attached to house it's usually used for entrance as well. We drive into garage and then from there use entrance into house. So I would think that that's considered entrance to house.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 2:14 pm
Absolutely not. You don't pray, sleep or eat. of course you'll always find opinions for more. Some put on windows.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 8:14 pm
My rav said to put on my large shed that is not attached to my house. I would assume that a garage would need as well.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 8:45 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Absolutely not. You don't pray, sleep or eat. of course you'll always find opinions for more. Some put on windows.

How can you say that. Are you a posek? Have you received such a psak? AFAIK (and I've asked lots of shailos about where mezuzos are needed) the primary factor is the size of the room. You don't pray, sleep or eat in a storage room or laundry room and those need mezuzos too. I have many large closets in my home that (per a posek) need mezuzos). If you are making such a statement, please include your source, otherwise you are misleading people.

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 10:06 pm
We moved recently and had a Rav go through the house to figure out where to put mezuzahs and how many we would need. According to him the garage needs a mezuzah.

siyata dishmaya

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 10:08 pm
call a Rabbi! dont ask a bunch of people who dont know your house or anything else about you. this generation needs to get used to picking up a phone and calling a rav for any question they may have.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 5:33 am
OOTBubby wrote:
How can you say that. Are you a posek? Have you received such a psak? AFAIK (and I've asked lots of shailos about where mezuzos are needed) the primary factor is the size of the room. You don't pray, sleep or eat in a storage room or laundry room and those need mezuzos too. I have many large closets in my home that (per a posek) need mezuzos). If you are making such a statement, please include your source, otherwise you are misleading people.

I'm not interested in fighting with you. Obviously I say this because I asked. We are BH owners. And yes size matters too, but in the garage/parking it is not even arriving to that level of question since it's not a dwelling.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions