Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Backpack style in Lakewood

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 9:22 pm
We are new to lakewood This past year my all the girls in dd kindergarten had a hello kitty breifcase. Dh said before we send her to school with her old backpack I should first find out. Primary here seems more like elemenrary school with uniforms She the type that needs to be like everyone else. I don't know many people yet. Is there a specific backpack that is popular for this age. I wan't to buy her school supplies now, before school starts thanks!

21young

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 9:41 pm
Depends on the school, but I don't think a Hello Kitty briefcase would go over that well once they're in school. No specific style per se, but stay away from characters altogether. Target had some really pretty briefcases. You can't go wrong with a Kipling but that's a minority, most people, including myself, won't spend that kind of money.

mamaleh

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 9:42 pm
It depends a little on the school, but I would say hello kitty is still usually popular in primary, as is anything cute & girly. Also, lands end seems to be considered a classic.

L K

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 9:46 pm
In my experience, in my girls school, and where some neighbors sent to, hello kitty was perfectly good for primary. Of course, can't go wrong with landsend on sale, or a $10 briefcase from npgs.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 10:05 pm
Does it matter if it's a heimish or chassidish school? I googled landsend they were very expensive. What size do I get anyway many give dimensions?

mommyofd1

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 10:07 pm
I agree with the no characters, stay with cute patterned bags. There's herschel if you want a quality bag, but old navy has cute look alikes for $15

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 10:24 pm
amother wrote:
Does it matter if it's a heimish or chassidish school? I googled landsend they were very expensive. What size do I get anyway many give dimensions?

You should NEVER buy one from Lands End for full price! Wait until there's a 30-40% off code, or even a 50% off code. You may even find some styles on clearance soon.

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 2:35 am
I don't think there's going to be a "like everyone else" backpack in primary. People have all different backpacks. If she needs to feel like she looks good then let her choose one with a pretty design rather than a boring basic one. I second the Land's End recommendation. They usually go on sale + coupon around this time of year for about $15, and they are guaranteed - that said my kids' backpacks are holding up extremely well so far and I don't anticipate needing to use that guarantee, but I have returned different LE products that weren't as satisfying (I had some tights that were a fail. Others that were good... a bathing suit that discolored; again others were great) and they do give you a full refund with no questions asked. DD is currently using her school backpack as a camp bag - daily swimming changes in an outdoor changing area, wet towels, snacks/drinks/crafts/schlepping around camp grounds - and other than a little permanent craft paint mishap it looks almost as good as new, and that's after a year of school too. I'm very impressed. I had my qualms about sending the school bag to camp but I just didn't get around to getting something else, and now I'm not sorry.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 8:02 am
Is the Landend knapsack on sale now?? What else is a good one where the zippers won't break?

momX4

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 8:20 am
mommyofd1 wrote:
I agree with the no characters, stay with cute patterned bags. There's herschel if you want a quality bag, but old navy has cute look alikes for $15

I found these bags to be to small for middle school kids. Gap runs bigger. I have gotten them for under $20.

L K

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 8:29 am
amother wrote:

Size medium fits all school stuff, including folders and projects.

Regular schoolmate is roomier and therefore kind of more hollow/shapeless if almost empty.

Digital schoolmate has more padding (meant for laptop originally) and keeps its shape even with only one thin folder inside.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 9:15 am
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
Is the Landend knapsack on sale now?? What else is a good one where the zippers won't break?

Yes!! https://www.landsend.com/shop/.....20LLC

Land's End is offering their backpacks and lunch boxes for 50% off today only using promo code BACKPACKS and pin 7476 with rare free shipping even under $50!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 9:33 am
I never made much of a deal of backpacks in the younger grades. It really doesn't matter what you get at that age. Buy what suits your budget. I've bought lands end and my kids used them repeatedly for a few years. It didn't seem to matter to them until they were in like fifth grade or so.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 10:52 am
My kindergartener got made fun of for a Thomas the Tank Engine backpack, while a friend and classmate got made fun of for a princess-type backpack. You couldn't win. This was a number of years ago and in Manhattan, but shocked and disgusted me nonetheless.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 2:47 pm
As it happens, Lands End backpacks are 50% off today. But it's only for today; the offer expires at 11:59 PM Central Time. Code is BACKPACK50; pin is 7476.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics