Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Grammar Question

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 10:23 am
Not sure where to post this. What is the correct terminology 'I forget' or 'I forgot'?
I often see posts where people write 'I read in a book, I forget what it was called'.
Shouldn't it be 'forgot'?

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 10:24 am
It should be forgot.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 10:30 am
"I've forgotten" sounds best to my ear.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 10:50 am
Thanks for confirming. It always sounded strange to me but I see it so many times that I thought perhaps I missed the memo.

chicco

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 10:54 am
When someone is in the process of trying to remember, but is failing they say, "I forget." When you are explaining about a time when you already have forgotten, it is "I forgot." It's a past and present thing. It depends what is being forgotten and when.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 11:02 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for confirming. It always sounded strange to me but I see it so many times that I thought perhaps I missed the memo.

Well, part of the problem is that the entire sentence is grammatically incorrect, not to mention confusing.

'I read in a book..."

Read what in a book? This clause doesn't make sense.

"... I forget what it was called."

What did you forget? The name of the book? The information referred to? Who is calling the book? Or the main character? Or someone on the phone?

'I read in a book, I forget what it was called'.

Where is the connection between the clauses? But? And? Although? Should it be two sentences?

tigerwife

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 11:14 am
I don't mean this in an offensive way, but internet posts are probably not the representation of the English Language. Ppl write more casually online 4 sum reason. many woman we're raised with a dif 1st language, so while some mistakes seem rediculous, dont be confused and trust you're instinct. (Smile )

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 12:01 pm
"I forget " is colloquial and should not be used in formal writing UNLESS what is meant is "forgetting is something I do on a continual basis", e.g. "I forget to change my password and get locked out of my account at least once a week." In contrast, when you call the IT desk, say "I forgot my password; please reset."

When called to the witness stand and asked where you were at 8.40 pm on July 27, 2017, say "I forgot", not "I forget."

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 4:43 pm
Forgot
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics