Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Inwood, Long Island info please!!

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 11:01 pm
I would love to hear about this community. What type of crowd? How many shuls are there. Is it a welcoming place? Where do people send for school.. and anything else! TIA!

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 11:27 pm
Tag,bnos bais yakov for girls
Darchei, yeshiva Ketana and south shore for boys

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 11:31 pm
We are looking to move to inwood too! My impression of the community is that it is a very warm community. Twenties and low to mid thirties age range. Its far rockaway overgrowth so its mainly frum solid working crowd. Ppl send to the area schools. Definitely bby tag darchei siach and yeshiva ketama could be other more to the left schools too.....

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 1:22 am
Thanks for the responses!
I'm wondering if anyone that lived in Brooklyn and moved to Inwood, can compare the schools mentioned to the schools in flatbush, Brooklyn.
I don't know what type these schools are, so this might help me get a better idea!

Thanks!

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 2:07 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for the responses!
I'm wondering if anyone that lived in Brooklyn and moved to Inwood, can compare the schools mentioned to the schools in flatbush, Brooklyn.
I don't know what type these schools are, so this might help me get a better idea!

Thanks!

It depends a lot what schools in Flatbush you are talking about.

The schools used by people in Inwood are a mix of Far Rockaway/Bayswater and 5 Towns families. In general you will find a bigger mix in those schools than in Brooklyn schools because there are fewer options than in Brooklyn.

Bnos Bais Yaakov (BBY), TAG and Bais Yaakov Ateres Miriam are all BY schools, but they have a range of different types of families. The most yeshivish tend to send to BBY, but even there there is quite a range. For example, some BBY families send to YOB for high school, but many BBY families would find YOB much too yeshivish for them.

Siach Yitzchok is the boys' school that is the most to the right, and perhaps similar to schools in Flatbush. Darchei is a huge school with many types of people and basically a yeshivish hashkafah. Yeshiva Ketana of Long Island is a smaller that I don't know much about. South Shore attracts somewhat more modern families but the hanhala and rabbeim are yeshivish.

Do you have specific questions about the schools?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 7:34 am
Im the amother above also looking for a house in inwood. Our kids are currently in chaim berlin and bya and we plan on sending to bby and darchei when we move.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 7:51 am
I'm the op.We also currently send to Chaim Berlin and BYA!! Dodgerblue, I wonder if I know you...

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 7:52 am
Does anyone know what the situation is with the schools, spacewise? Like is it hard to get into BBY and Darchei because of lack of space?

amother
Violet

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 7:26 pm
Bump looking for updated info on the housing situation there. What can I expect to pay for a house with 4 bedrooms and a backyard?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 10:04 pm
Were looking there also. You can find a house with four bedrooms and a yard starting around 500k but at that price its going to need some work.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 10:05 pm
Were looking there also. You can find a house with four bedrooms and a yard starting around 500k but at that price its going to need some work.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 6:19 pm
Hi, We currently live out of town now but need to move to tri state area for work. We're considering Inwood and Passaic. I'm wondering for those send to BBY and Darchei - do your kids feel pressure from wealthier / more materialistic classmates? Also, what is tuition like in these schools and would anyone know how that compares to tuition in Yeshiva Ketana of Passaic? Thank you Smile

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 6:43 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Hi, We currently live out of town now but need to move to tri state area for work. We're considering Inwood and Passaic. I'm wondering for those send to BBY and Darchei - do your kids feel pressure from wealthier / more materialistic classmates? Also, what is tuition like in these schools and would anyone know how that compares to tuition in Yeshiva Ketana of Passaic? Thank you Smile

Just beware that lately inwood prices have skyrocketed. The latest house isn’t anything grand and is asking 780.. I’ve heard they already have offers

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 7:06 pm
Seriously? I didn't realize that! Is that one specific area of Inwood or all throughout? Would you know some names of blocks that I can get an idea from Zillow?

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 8:06 pm
Seriously? I didn't realize that! Is that one specific area of Inwood or all throughout? Would you know some names of blocks that I can get an idea from Zillow?

unfortunately.. its just not really an affordable option anymore..I mean listen 780 is def on the higher end of homes. But if your budget is say under 600 you are looking at something very small that likely needs a nice amount of work.

srbmom

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 8:32 pm
My friend bought there about 18 months ago. They paid around 650k and still needed to put in close to 100k of work

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 1:18 am

I live in inwood. That house that just went up is a decent size (for inwood) and in the most sought after section. Other areas will be cheaper but the house will be smaller and or needs work. As far as blocks look up the area near the country club Doughty to Donahue and meadow. That is the country club area and it’s the nicest. Then there is the area “near far Rockaway” the borders of that would be Sheridan, Mott,Mervin, and the fourth border street would be the 878. On wanser people live fairly close to the 878 other blocks not. The third section is called the marina side or just the third side. I am not as familiar with the borders but off hand I know ppl on maple, Davis, elm, bayswater blvd a

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 1:22 am

My son goes to darchei elementary and after all the fees and everything full tuition came out to 16100. The tuition committee was very reasonable and gave us a nice scholarship. My girls are in ateres Miriam not BBY and full tuition is 10500 I believe. We got a scholarship as well. Ateres Miriam attracts a simpler crowd then bby.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries