Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Colleges with Modern Orthodox Student Community
Previous  1  2

Teaneckoraliyah

Post Fri, Aug 11 2017, 1:23 pm
University of MI has a lot of anti-Israeli activity on campus these days. I'm a graduate from there but I would not send my kids there now.

nicole81

Post Fri, Aug 11 2017, 1:34 pm
Boston University sounds like it would be a good safety school for her. I believe Harvard (and maybe MIT?) would work well, too.

tichellady

Post Fri, Aug 11 2017, 1:37 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Boston University sounds like it would be a good safety school for her. I believe Harvard (and maybe MIT?) would work well, too.

Bu doesn't have a great orthodox community. They have all the infrastructure for orthodox students but they currently have a very small group.

nicole81

Post Fri, Aug 11 2017, 1:40 pm
tichellady wrote:
Bu doesn't have a great orthodox community. They have all the infrastructure for orthodox students but they currently have a very small group.

Oh ok, I'm a bit out of the college loop right now. It was different when I was last there.

tichellady

Post Fri, Aug 11 2017, 1:44 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Oh ok, I'm a bit out of the college loop right now. It was different when I was last there.

I only know this because a relative of mine was very unhappy there and ended up switching schools

SpottedBanana

Post Sat, Aug 12 2017, 7:28 pm
nicole81 wrote:

LOL, having applied to both MIT and Harvard (am now at Penn) there is no way an OOT BY girl is getting into either one. Those schools take you only if you have major major diversity points or you have amazing grades from an amazing prep school (pref all of the above). Just want OP to be realistic.

Penn has a very large Orthodox community, but most are LWMO. She's unlikely to get in there either, but Drexel is a few blocks away and they are part of the Penn community. Don't know how great a school it is, but it's not just a commuter school.

OP, I'd look at the list of schools on the OU website that have JLIC couples.

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Aug 12 2017, 10:00 pm
Sterns is kosher.
I have family that went to Hunters, Harvard and YU. But this goes back in the days of 1950/60s. My family is Ultra Orthodox.

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Aug 12 2017, 10:04 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:
LOL, having applied to both MIT and Harvard (am now at Penn) there is no way an OOT BY girl is getting into either one. Those schools take you only if you have major major diversity points or you have amazing grades from an amazing prep school (pref all of the above). Just want OP to be realistic.

Penn has a very large Orthodox community, but most are LWMO. She's unlikely to get in there either, but Drexel is a few blocks away and they are part of the Penn community. Don't know how great a school it is, but it's not just a commuter school.

To be fair, I attended MIT after getting amazing grades at a public school. My uncle attended Harvard after getting amazing grades at another public school. There is no reason why an amazing student from any school cannot be admitted to these schools.

OTOH, if Penn is a reach, it will be very difficult to get in to MIT or Harvard.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Aug 12 2017, 10:25 pm
amother wrote:
Sterns is kosher.
I have family that went to Hunters, Harvard and YU. But this goes back in the days of 1950/60s. My family is Ultra Orthodox.

It's Stern and Hunter. No s at the end.

Amarante

Post Sat, Aug 12 2017, 10:54 pm
The Forward just listed its guide to the 14 best colleges for Orthodox Jews.

http://forward.com/news/379408.....jews/

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Aug 12 2017, 11:05 pm
amother wrote:
To be fair, I attended MIT after getting amazing grades at a public school. My uncle attended Harvard after getting amazing grades at another public school. There is no reason why an amazing student from any school cannot be admitted to these schools.

OTOH, if Penn is a reach, it will be very difficult to get in to MIT or Harvard.

How old are you?

Admissions today cannot be compared to admissions 20 years ago.

I had excellent grades and decent SAT scores from a selective public school, and was accepted at several Ivies. But that was then.

My friend's son had a 1590/1600 and an A average at a selective public school, had overcome physical challenges, and played varsity sports in high school, and did not get into a single Ivy (he applied to them all). No worries, he's at one of the top 5 schools in the country, but its not an Ivy.

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Aug 12 2017, 11:07 pm
Amarante wrote:
The Forward just listed its guide to the 14 best colleges for Orthodox Jews.

http://forward.com/news/379408.....jews/

I disagree on Stony Brook and Muhlenberg, at the very least.

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Aug 12 2017, 11:12 pm
amother wrote:
I disagree on Stony Brook and Muhlenberg, at the very least.

The Orthodox community at Muhlenberg is tiny, but rapidly growing. Good opportunity for someone who really likes to make a difference, but not for someone who needs to be part of a large crowd. The overall Jewish community is strong (about a third of the college student body, and well organized) and all parts seem to get along very well.

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Aug 12 2017, 11:15 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:

My son's high school had kids accepted at every Ivy. So it's simply untrue to say that they don't take kids who attend something other than a prep school.

Drexel is as different from Penn as chalk from cheese, and I don't know how much interaction there is, except maybe religiously. Certainly in my day, I attended Penn for 4 years without ever once so much as running into a Drexel student. Drexel is a great school for a lot of reasons, particularly its coop program. But at about $70,000 a year, including expenses, I wouldn't suggest anyone attend because it's near Penn.

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Aug 12 2017, 11:18 pm
amother wrote:
The Orthodox community at Muhlenberg is tiny, but rapidly growing. Good opportunity for someone who really likes to make a difference, but not for someone who needs to be part of a large crowd. The overall Jewish community is strong (about a third of the college student body, and well organized) and all parts seem to get along very well.

I'm quite familiar with it.

But its ridiculous to say that it's one of the best schools for Orthodox Jews. Its a good alternative. They heavily recruit at day schools. But one of the best? No.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics