Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Advise on choosing flooring

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 9:24 am
Hi I am moving and I need to replace all flooring . Main floor consists of front hall, kitchen/dinette , play room,study Dining room, living room .. does it make sense to do all wood ? Anyone do this? Are u happy with it or would do it differently ? Tia

chicco

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 9:56 am
I think wood is very nice in general for flooring. That being said, I would be hesitant to do it in the kitchen and the playroom. Things fall all of the time in both, putting your flooring at risk for scratches and scrapes. For a kitchen, I really like luxury vinyl tile because it's a lot better on the feet than ceramic. For a playroom, you could do luxury vinyl tile as well, but carpet is so much more cozy. There really are so many options.

Mazel tov on the move!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 10:53 am
Put tile in the kitchen and bathrooms and hardwood everywhere else.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 11:01 am
Vinyl tile in kitchen. Hardwood in kitchen is a nightmare.
Ceramic tile in bathroom.
Hardwood everywhere else.
Large rug for playroom if you don't mind the extra cleaning involved.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 11:42 am
I have wood floors in the hallway. I find it very hard on my feet (I like to walk around in socks, no shoes). My feet hurt a LOT from that. I'm so happy I put porcelain tile in the kitchen; can't imagine standing on wood all day, it would be terribly painful for me.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 11:45 am
amother wrote:

This is what I did, and in happy with it.

Hardwood is much softer than ceramic tile, so I don't know why some people would find it harder to stand on.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 12:21 pm
I suggest something very hard and safe and secure so your floors don't crack and cause dangerous accidents and extreme falls

Maryann

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 2:30 pm
amother wrote:

Why?

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 2:45 pm
Maryann wrote:
Why?
Very difficult to maintain.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 3:32 pm
Maryann wrote:
Why?

"The kitchen is a busy, high impact room, that is tough on its surfaces. From spills and splashes to water dangers, to the occasional dropping of a sharpened knife or fork, there are a number of different challenges that your floors will have to face."

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 4:11 pm
Op here. the thing is house came with wood floor in kitchen and carpeting every where else so although sounds like the overall take is no wood in kitchen for financial reasons not going to rip out wood floor . Thanks all

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 10:01 am
I put in luxury vinyl planks on my entire first floor except the bathroom- although if I was doing the bathroom over id put in porcelain wood floors to keep everything open and seamless looking-it looks like wood, has movement and grain, easy to clean and maintain, and individual planks can be pulled out and replaced. I did a lot of flooring research- it's been holding up beautifully

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 10:09 am
amother wrote:
Op here. the thing is house came with wood floor in kitchen and carpeting every where else so although sounds like the overall take is no wood in kitchen for financial reasons not going to rip out wood floor . Thanks all

You definitely should not rip out the wood. Just out vinyl tiles on top- they are inexpensive.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 10:17 am
amother wrote:
I put in luxury vinyl planks on my entire first floor except the bathroom- although if I was doing the bathroom over id put in porcelain wood floors to keep everything open and seamless looking-it looks like wood, has movement and grain, easy to clean and maintain, and individual planks can be pulled out and replaced. I did a lot of flooring research- it's been holding up beautifully

I'm one of the above amothers. We redid our kitchen and playroom with vinyl tile and bathroom with ceramic tile. We left the hardwood in the rest of the house. I often wonder if we'd need to redo all the floors if I wouldn't do vinyl tile there too. We did a wood-look and we're sooooo happy with it in both rooms we put them in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics