Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What is Baltimore like?
Previous  1  2

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 12:23 pm
Thanks again for all the info!!

Someone asked why we are looking into Baltimore -- without wanting to start a debate, NYC is just not for us anymore. Not really because of how expensive it is (although that is definitely a factor), but just the atmosphere. My husband and I are both BTs and just plain frum and pretty liberal and NYC (specifically talking about the frum world) is starting to become the opposite and we just don't feel like it's the place for us to be anymore. We also considered the 5 Towns but decided it wasn't good for us either and along with Baltimore, Teaneck is on our list as well. We even considered LA but nixed it because all of our families live in NY or NJ. Boston is also on our list but I admit, we don't have a clue about Boston so it's just on the list waiting to be researched lol.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 12:25 pm
Amazing! Incredible! THE BEST.

doctorima

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 12:28 pm
Baltimore sounds like a good fit. If you want to stay closer to NY but in a more open-minded community, check out Staten Island (Willowbrook), Elizabeth, and Highland Park/Edison.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 12:30 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks again for all the info!!

Someone asked why we are looking into Baltimore -- without wanting to start a debate, NYC is just not for us anymore. Not really because of how expensive it is (although that is definitely a factor), but just the atmosphere. My husband and I are both BTs and just plain frum and pretty liberal and NYC (specifically talking about the frum world) is starting to become the opposite and we just don't feel like it's the place for us to be anymore. We also considered the 5 Towns but decided it wasn't good for us either and along with Baltimore, Teaneck is on our list as well. We even considered LA but nixed it because all of our families live in NY or NJ. Boston is also on our list but I admit, we don't have a clue about Boston so it's just on the list waiting to be researched lol.

It sounds like teaneck may be a good fit for you. But it is not a bais yaakov type community.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 12:32 pm
All I know about Boston is that it's expensive. There are nearby communities that are more affordable and people commute into Boston. We have friends in Providence, RI who are very happy there.their families live in NY.

tichellady

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 12:34 pm
Iymnok wrote:
All I know about Boston is that it's expensive. There are nearby communities that are more affordable and people commute into Boston. We have friends in Providence, RI who are very happy there.their families live in NY.

Sharon, Massachusetts is a very nice place to live

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:18 pm
Hi, We're considering moving out of town and I was hoping someone can fill me in on Baltimore. If we move there my husband would have to travel daily to DC. Do people commute? How long does it take - is there a train or driving is best? He'd probably have to be at work from about 9:30 til late in the evening. Is that doable?

SmileNow

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 11:49 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Hi, We're considering moving out of town and I was hoping someone can fill me in on Baltimore. If we move there my husband would have to travel daily to DC. Do people commute? How long does it take - is there a train or driving is best? He'd probably have to be at work from about 9:30 til late in the evening. Is that doable?

No train. Driving a must. Depending on traffic and location, 1-2 hrs each way. And account for the 3-4 times a year where it's so crazy it takes 3 and a half hrs to get back. My father did it for years..... its grueling. He's also worked in Arlington, VA. The driving takes a toll...

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 12:02 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:

if hes commuting to DC I strongly recommend moving to Silver Spring. Quality of life is also important and to get to work at 9:30 he would have to leave very early and sit in traffic.

The train is very impractical as you need to drive to the station and pay for parking, take the MARC from Penn Station to Union Station and then the local Metro to wherever he works. That is a minimum of 2.5 hours. There are people who commute from Baltimore but its really hard.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 12:05 pm
Thank you all for your help! We looked into Silver Spring but tuition and housing are significantly more than Baltimore so it doesn't seem like an option for us.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 12:12 pm
I grew up in Baltimore and my father worked his last few years before retiring in DC (until maybe 6 years ago). He drove to the train (free parking) and took the train. His office moved, so his commute included multiple switches and was longer. I think he took the MARC and then the DC subway system but not 100% sure. He never drove in!
So depending where in DC it may be doable.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 12:18 pm
I dont know why the train is not an option for commuting to DC. My DH has done it several times, but not on a daily basis. There is Amtrak and the Marc train.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 12:30 pm
You might consider Rockville.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 5:07 pm
You can use rapid transit to commute to jobs within DC from Baltimore. There are express trains. Many people do it, it's not terrible. Commuting to jobs in the DC area but not within the city is for the most part much more difficult.

Another DC area frum community would be Olney. It's a very small community and someone else will have to give you pricing info.

amother
White

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 5:16 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
You might consider Rockville.

I don't think Rockville has a frum community. I don't know if there's even an Orthodox shul there. Potomac has a few Orthodox shuls. It's nowhere near as big an Orthodox community as any of the frum communities in Silver Spring. It is much more expensive than Kemp Mill or White Oak and I think more expensive even than Woodside. Rockville is also more expensive than Kemp Mill and White Oak. It is maybe on the same level as Woodside. But why would a frum person prefer Rockville to Woodside?

Before I hit submit I remembered that there is a tiny frum community in Aspen Hill. I guess it's officially considered part of Rockville. It's right near where Berman Hebrew Academy is. Literally. The shul is located physically in the school. On top of tuition, parents have to pay $1K for each child they have in school. If you live in Aspen Hill, I guess you would shop at Moti's, which is just a mile or two away, and use the mikvah in Kemp Mill.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 5:29 pm
Yes, there is an Orthodox shul in Rockville (it may be chabad). I know a few frum people who live there, though you would have to do research to find more specifics. It has definitely had some frum families moving there in the past few years.

amother
White

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 5:38 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Yes, there is an Orthodox shul in Rockville (it may be chabad). I know a few frum people who live there, though you would have to do research to find more specifics. It has definitely had some frum families moving there in the past few years.

But what is the point of being there rather than in Silver Spring, where there is a much larger frum community? It is more expensive than Silver Spring and there are fewer frum Jews. It is closer to Virginia, but just by ten minutes because even though you are further west you are also further north.

tichellady

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 8:18 pm
I think aspen hill is more affordable than silver spring and they help with with down payments and tuition etc. never been but have heard good things

https://www.kehilatpardes.org/visit-us/

Zeleze

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:13 am
Ask Trump, He had a blasting against Baltimaore last wekk Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating