Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
ADHD medication side effects/ downside to medicating? help..
Previous  1  2

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 1:14 pm
My son takes Intuniv to control his impulsivity. It makes a big difference in his behavior. He actually WANTS to take it because he knows that won't do something that he will regret later.

He also takes Vyvanse so that he is more focused. He takes both every day because it affects his ability to function.

His appetite is affected but I am willing to live with that side effect because the medication has improved his quality of life so much.

I agree with one of the posters above who said that it is best to go to a psychiatrist. There are many medications available nowadays and they are all different. A psychiatrist knows how the medications differ and can help you find what works best for your son.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 10:00 pm
Thank you everyone!

The pediatrician appt is tomorrow and we will hopefully get started on something!

Like I said, we have a psychiatry appt mid Sept, so she will get to hear how the meds are or are not working and will even have a couple weeks of school to base it on too (like I said, home is a major part of the need too).

I will luk how it goes tomorrow. DC is very sensitive, so we have to be careful how we talk about the side effects around DC or he/she will get upset. it will be a hard appt.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 4:36 am
amother wrote:
I will luk how it goes tomorrow. DC is very sensitive, so we have to be careful how we talk about the side effects around DC or he/she will get upset. it will be a hard appt.

I would say don't talk about the side effects around DC. No one told me about the side effects, and I was much better off that way, but my parents knew what to look out for, and I had a psychiatrist appt every month so they could check in with me. SO other people were on top of it, but I didn't have to worry about it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)