Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Putting Challa dough in fridge, freezer

Maryann

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 4:18 pm
I just made my Challa dough I want to save time on Friday.
What's the best thing to do with the dough? Put in fridge or freezer? And should I let it rise for 2 hours first? Or just put it straight now? Thanks everyone!

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 4:38 pm
I think either way will work at this point, but freezer might be a better bet. I've done both. I let it rise as it defrosts. Never had any issues.

Maryann

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 4:39 pm
Thanks seeker, so just to clarify I should freeze before letting it rise?

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 4:39 pm
That's what I'd do.

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 5:22 pm
Maryann wrote:
Thanks seeker, so just to clarify I should freeze before letting it rise?
. Yes.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 5:51 pm
Please don't put the dough in the fridge, I once did that & the dough did rise. There was dough all over!

chocolatecake

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 5:54 pm
I make a big batch challah dough. I braid it put egg and.seeds on top then I cover it and freeze. On friday I take the challah out of the freezer and defrost for three hours then bake. Fresh challah every shabbos and no extra friday work.

Maryann

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 6:06 pm
Thx so much for all your replies.. So the Challa dough is in the freezer, I'm looking forward to a calmer friday!

by

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 8:17 am
Blessing1 wrote:
Please don't put the dough in the fridge, I once did that & the dough did rise. There was dough all over!

I actually sometimes make the dough Thursday night and put in the fridge to rise overnight, as this way it rises, but doesn't over-rise, and I can shape and put in the oven Friday morning, without waiting for it to rise.

Maryann

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 9:19 am
I only get home from work Fri afternoon, do u think I can leave it in fridge from Thursday night till Fri afternoon?

iammom

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:16 am
chocolatecake wrote:
I make a big batch challah dough. I braid it put egg and.seeds on top then I cover it and freeze. On friday I take the challah out of the freezer and defrost for three hours then bake. Fresh challah every shabbos and no extra friday work.

I love this idea! Definitely going to try it!

by

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 9:15 am
Maryann wrote:
I only get home from work Fri afternoon, do u think I can leave it in fridge from Thursday night till Fri afternoon?

I would think it could work.Maybe try with punching it down in the morning before you go to work to let it rise again until you get back.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads