Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Eclipse-Do I have to worry about my sleepaway camper's eyes?
1  2  Next

amother
Green

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 12:35 pm
If my child will be in the catskills, where there is only a partial eclipse, should I be worried about his/her eyes? Sending glasses? Calling the camp and harassing them?

Does anyone know what sleepaway camps will be doing about it?

clowny

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 4:22 pm
I don't know what my kids camps will be doing but I gave them glasses.

octopus

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 4:23 pm
They shouldn't look directly at the sun.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 5:48 pm
I certainly hope that the camp you send to is well informed about eye safety during the eclipse. Why do you think they wouldn't be?

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 7:03 pm
I would check with the camp and warn my child personally. I would not count on the camp being on top of the eclipse, they're busy with campy activities and might not have given it much thought. The counselors are young and might just automatically assume that an eclipse would be a cool thing to see Confused

amother
Green

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 9:49 pm
I checked with the camp and I get the impression it's pretty much as seeker suspected it would be. They don't seem too concerned (it IS only a partial eclipse after all), they're going to tell the girls not to look up at the sky, I guess hopefully they'll all listen...

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 9:51 pm
amother wrote:
I checked with the camp and I get the impression it's pretty much as seeker suspected it would be. They don't seem too concerned (it IS only a partial eclipse after all), they're going to tell the girls not to look up at the sky, I guess hopefully they'll all listen...

Actually it is a total eclipse. You may not be in the path of totality but there is a very big scientific difference between a total and a partial eclipse.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 10:11 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Actually it is a total eclipse. You may not be in the path of totality but there is a very big scientific difference between a total and a partial eclipse.

I know that it's a total eclipse but in the Catskills (where the camp is) it will only be a partial eclipse and it doesn't have the same danger to the eyes

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 10:15 pm
amother wrote:
I know that it's a total eclipse but in the Catskills (where the camp is) it will only be a partial eclipse and it doesn't have the same danger to the eyes

I'm not sure where you got that information but I'm pretty sure it's all the same danger. The danger is that the eclipse fools your eyes into thinking that it's OK to look at the sun, while in fact the sun is still bright enough that even a sliver of it can permanently damage your eyes. It is never safe to look directly at the sun, but when it's not eclipsed the full sun is so bright that your eyes will instinctively close or look away to protect themselves. When the sun is mostly covered, your eyes don't hurt so they won't instinctively close or look away, and you're thinking that you're OK while meanwhile your retina is getting burnt dead.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 10:46 pm
amother wrote:

WRONG! In fact it's worse! During totality one may look without glasses but during the partial stages of the eclipse, the UV rays can burn one's retina and cause blindness (or partial blindness) without a person feeling it because there's no pain involved. usually looking at the sun causes you to look away because its too bright. But during an eclipse it wont appear as bright but in fact its still shining with its full force, so you might feel like you can look but you MUST use glasses for anything more than a half-second glance at the sun. If you don't, you risk blindness.

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 10:59 pm
PS sunglasses will not help you. I actually bought those eclipse glasses online and they're practically black.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 11:02 pm
I live in Lakewood. Can someone tell me how to find out what time I should avoid looking at the sun?

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 11:08 pm
always. never look at the sun.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 11:16 pm
I didn't even know you can't look. I'm starting to panic. How do I know what time to shield my kids eyes?

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 11:25 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I didn't even know you can't look. I'm starting to panic. How do I know what time to shield my kids eyes?

you can never look directly at the sun...

but in NYC eclipse starts around 1:23 and ends at 4:00

https://www.space.com/37807-so......html

amother
Green

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 11:34 pm
amother wrote:
WRONG! In fact it's worse! During totality one may look without glasses but during the partial stages of the eclipse, the UV rays can burn one's retina and cause blindness (or partial blindness) without a person feeling it because there's no pain involved. usually looking at the sun causes you to look away because its too bright. But during an eclipse it wont appear as bright but in fact its still shining with its full force, so you might feel like you can look but you MUST use glasses for anything more than a half-second glance at the sun. If you don't, you risk blindness.

I'm OP and this (and subsequent posts) are kinda freaking me out. Is it realistic to think that kids in sleepaway camp, who spend most of their day outside, won't look up at the midday darkening sky for the entire 2+ hours that there will be a partial eclipse?

Any suggestions on what I should do? Am I the only one with a child in camp concerned about this?

happy12

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 12:14 am
During an eclipse it is more dangerous to look at the sun than any other times. Even a few seconds can cause damage because as the sky darkens the pupils dilate more so more of the sunlight can hit the retina an cause damage. I read that sun rays are nine times,more powerful because the open iris allows it to hit more of the retina.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 12:16 am
amother wrote:
I'm OP and this (and subsequent posts) are kinda freaking me out. Is it realistic to think that kids in sleepaway camp, who spend most of their day outside, won't look up at the midday darkening sky for the entire 2+ hours that there will be a partial eclipse?

Any suggestions on what I should do? Am I the only one with a child in camp concerned about this?

I guess the best you can do is to talk to as many people in the camp as you can about your concerns and hope that they prepare their campers and staff accordingly. And talk to your own kid(s) with dire warnings and hope that they listen.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 1:16 am
amother wrote:

THIS! Exactly what I was going to post. From my research I understood that a total eclipse is not harmful. Since the sun is completely blocked, there is no concern of harmful rays. However, in NY and other areas experiencing the partial eclipse, it's as amother posted above.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 1:30 am
amother wrote:
you can never look directly at the sun...

but in NYC eclipse starts around 1:23 and ends at 4:00

https://www.space.com/37807-so......html

Anyone know the time of the eclipse in the Catskills? Would it be the same as NYC?

How concerned do I need to be of my three year old looking upward? And his day camp tends to take them swimming during that time, and wouldn't there be a possibility of eye damage if they lay on their backs in the pool?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children