Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What do homeschoolers do about social issues

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 12:03 pm
DS is a situation in school where our only motives for sending him back for another year (eight grade) are social and keeping him off the street/having too much unstructured free time. He will not learn anything or be happy in school. The school is also unhappy with him (he is not a discipline issue) They told us that they are not geared to him so he will not do well if he remains. They aren't telling him to leave just giving advice. Of course if we had the ability to change schools we would have done so long ago.

DH and I are thinking that we might as well home school him after Sukkos. If we hire tutors etc. at least that way he will learn something. Also keeping him in a school that he resents and isn't understanding what is being taught can cause too much backlash from him. Even if we don't decide to home school given his situation there is a decent chance he won't make it to the end of the year anyhow so we might as well be prepared.

Our main concerns about taking this route are social and lack of a strictly structured day. What do other home schooling parents do about these issues?

Or what else can be done in this situation?

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 7:14 pm
bump

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 10:08 pm
Following because I'm in a very similar situation.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 10:23 pm
Many homeschooling families have regular get togethers with other homeschooling families, as
well as participating in structured educational opportunities in the wider community.

You should realize, though, that many homeschoolers either started at a very young age, so the child is used to this arrangement, or specifically chose it because the child was struggling socially. If your child thrives socially in his school, this arrangement may backfire. Is he on board with homeschooling? He's at an age when his peer group plays a very important role in his life.

Hatzalacha.

leah233

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 11:56 am
I was once in a similar situation and considered such an idea. My plan for social interaction was to have him do things like (1)join a voluntary Mishmar Shiur being given to boys his age in shul, (2)have him join a group of boys studying for the GED off school hours (3) find a Tzedokah organization that allows boys his age to volunteer.

Ultimately we didn't do it so I can't tell you how it would have worked out.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 12:14 pm
Is there a possibility of sending him to high school one year early? My husband went to dorm for HS after 7th grade. It's not ideal to send such a young boy away but it might be a good option if you don't have a local choice.
Eight grade seems like a hard age to keep a kid home who is used to school.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 12:48 pm
This story is giving me deja vu of the recent tragedy in our community. So I would say don't just pull him out with no plan. What do you mean precisely though that he isn't learning anything and becoming resentful? I hope you find a solution.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics