Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
16 month old meal planning

behappy2

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 6:21 pm
My daughter is 16 months old and literally can eat all day. She points to any carbs or junk food that is around and will tantrum till she gets it. I would like to put her on a good schedule so that I don't need to feel guilty about her tantrums and at the same time she will not be rewarded for tantrumming.

Here is a basic current schedule

Nurses at 7:30

Eggs and banana at 8:00

11:00 sweet potato

Nap

2:30 banana or fruit

6:00 chicken/fish/potatos

8:00 nurses to bed

Soneone advised me that she might be hungry and it put me in a tizzy. So today I gave her a bagel at 3:30 bec she wanted and she now refused her supper. I am so confused. My older one ate three decent meals a day without snacks and was happy.

Any experienced mothers please weigh in. Please speak kindly. Thank you.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 6:29 pm
Maybe try giving more fats and proteins to keep her full. Fruits and vegetables are healthy, but not very filling. So for example a snack can be thinly sliced apple rings or banana with (no sugar added) nut butter on top. That's more satisfying than just a fruit. Snacks between meals are perfectly normal and healthy. For lunch, give some cottage cheese or Greek yogurt with the sweet potato.

Also, keep food in locked cabinets so she can't see it and tantrum for it. If she sees other people eating junk she'll want some too.. so it shouldn't be around in the first place.

Finally, is she hungry or just bored? My kids eat all day when they're home, but if we go out they're perfectly happy with the healthy snacks I pack, and don't whine constantly that they're hungry.

behappy2

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 6:34 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe try giving more fats and proteins to keep her full. Fruits and vegetables are healthy, but not very filling. So for example a snack can be thinly sliced apple rings or banana with (no sugar added) nut butter on top. That's more satisfying than just a fruit. Snacks between meals are perfectly normal and healthy. For lunch, give some cottage cheese or Greek yogurt with the sweet potato.

Also, keep food in locked cabinets so she can't see it and tantrum for it. If she sees other people eating junk she'll want some too.. so it shouldn't be around in the first place.

Finally, is she hungry or just bored? My kids eat all day when they're home, but if we go out they're perfectly happy with the healthy snacks I pack, and don't whine constantly that they're hungry.

Thank you for responding. I try really hard to keep food away from her but I keep bananas on the counter. Is there another place I can keep them? According to the babysitter she is happy there. At home she tantrums all day. Do you think the schedule is fine and I should just add in fats and protein?

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 6:44 pm
It's hard to say without knowing quantities, but the schedule sounds more or less fine. I would definitely make the snack after waking up a bit more substantial if it's expected to hold her over until 6. And another light snack between dinner and bed, something like cubed cheese and sliced grapes.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 6:44 pm
I'm not nursing my 16 month old so yours is getting slightly more than just from food though I'm not sure she's eating enough filling food until her last meal.

I have a daughter the same age and she usually has cereal with milk for breakfast, bread with cheese for lunch and some sort of protein and carbs for supper such as meatballs and rice.

I try to give some fruit and veg as well though she's not always very interested in that. So it's great that yours is eating healthily though I would probably try give a little more carbs together with her 2.30pm snack since doesn't sound as she is having much of that. An entire bagel might have been more than necessary though at least half a bagel or something could keep her going until supper.

nicole81

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 7:47 pm
I can tell you what my 16 month old's schedule roughly is:

7am: 8oz milk
8am: cheerios, mozzarella cheese (tons of cheese!, fruit)
9-12: nap
12:30: banana
1:30pm: lunch: scrambled eggs and cheese; Oats with berries, flax, and chia; quinoa with veggies, fish sticks and corn, sautéed tofu and veggies
3:30: 8oz milk
4-6: nap
6:30: dinner: protein, veggie, carb. Largest portion is protein. Fruit usually follows 20 min later
8:30: 8oz milk at bedtime

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 9:09 pm
I would add a 12:30 lunch that has a protein and carb. That including everything else your giving her should b enough. Good luck.

behappy2

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 9:58 pm
amother wrote:
I would add a 12:30 lunch that has a protein and carb. That including everything else your giving her should b enough. Good luck.

That is her nap time

lucky14

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:35 pm
I'd add in some grains/carbs, more protein and veggies.
bread, beans, rice, lentils, peas, etc.
you can make pea soup or some kind of lentil cheese dish.

Try for more variety at meals. I read somewhere that snacks should be one or two different items and meals should be like 3 different items (try to get different food groups in). It's fine if they don't eat some of the stuff given to them but it's nice to offer a variety.

HeartyAppetite

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:38 pm
I would add lunch at about 2:00. She is only getting fruit now at lunchtime, I would add a protein and carb.

My baby is turning 15 months old and this is his schedule:

8:00 6 oz milk
9:00 Breakfast Bread with butter and omelet with cheese. He doesn't eat all of it, only half a bread usually.
11:00 yogurt
12:00 6 oz milk and naps
2:00 Peanut butter sandwich or bread and cheese.
4:00 6 oz milk and fruit
6:00 supper chicken and potatos

When I'm on the street about 3:00 I give him snacks like flutes or cornpops.
so he has Breakfast snack lunck snack dinner

He eats well bh, and is still only 20% on the charts.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics