Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is a ba in liberal arts (Excelsior/TTI) worth it?

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:15 pm
I need advice. I currently teach full time for under $40,000. I enjoy what I do but 1)I feel like I am capable of more 2)There is no opportunity to advance 3) once my kids are out of school I don't think I want to stay. I apologize if I am being vague, but those are the basics.
I would like to get a degree (I am 30) even if it means it will take 5-10 years for it to be worth it. I am just not sure where to start and how to determine if it will be worth it.
The most practical solution right now is to get a BA in liberal arts from Excelsior through TTI. I do not have any credits. I am willing to put in time, effort, and money (would stretch it) if this will lead to a master's in the behavioral health field/educational psychology field. Is that likely, or wishful thinking?
I don't want to pursue it and look back 10 years with a feeling of wasted time and money, nor do I want to look back and regret a wasted opportunity.
I have spent many hours googling and researching, but every site says something different about the usefulness of such a degree.
Please help!

cnc

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:22 pm
If you want to go into the behavioral health or educational psychology field , why wouldn't you get a BA in Psychology ?

imasinger

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:23 pm
My DD did her BA that way, then went on to get her MA in behavioral health through TTI. It was pretty quick, though she had to work hard to do it at an accelerated pace. You can pm me for further questions.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:26 pm
Because TTI doesn't offer it. Going through them seems the most efficient way, as opposed to sitting in classes at a community college one semester at a time. With working full time and several kids, it would take me about 12 years. I am not looking to CLEP and take JSEs for the easy way out, but to do this efficiently and use as a springboard for a more focused masters. I would in theory work part time and take out loans for a masters, but I just can't justify that yet at the beginning of this journey.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:27 pm
Thanks!

oliveoil

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:29 pm
If you're willing to put in time, effort, and money (as you say), why not go to a real school?

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:38 pm
Great questions. Because I do not live near a campus other than one thay offers business related degrees. Going to a real school part time would take triple to quadruple the amount of time. Whereas with TTI I can take JSEs. I consider myself intelligent, and was a good student, but I have not been a student in 11 years. For my BA I would like it to be as smooth as possible. As mentioned above, I know a graduate program would be different. I don't think it's any different than campus colleges offering bowling for credits toward your BA. My concern is whether or not this BA will be a springboard for a serious masters.
Just looked at TTI's graduate programs, they only offer business, special ed, ed, and slp.

spring chick

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:44 pm
You can use the Ecxelsior liberal arts degree for many Masters programs including - education, accounting, law, MBA, social work, and many other fields.

If your looking to save money and work at your own pace and I would suggest EEC Degrees. They have a similar program to tti but it seems simpler. After much time and research my DD chose EEC and graduated through them.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:50 pm
Thanks springchick. I looked it up. They do not have a testing site in my area (TTI uses a proctor in my city). But I will contact them anyway to learn about my options.

newmom1987

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:51 pm
If you live in New York State, state colleges are free starting in September.
https://www.suny.edu/smarttrac.....sior/

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:53 pm
No, not in NY, but thanks. Maybe someone else will see that though and it will help!

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 11:03 pm
amother wrote:
Because TTI doesn't offer it. Going through them seems the most efficient way, as opposed to sitting in classes at a community college one semester at a time. With working full time and several kids, it would take me about 12 years. I am not looking to CLEP and take JSEs for the easy way out, but to do this efficiently and use as a springboard for a more focused masters. I would in theory work part time and take out loans for a masters, but I just can't justify that yet at the beginning of this journey.

There are legitimate colleges and universities that offer BAs through distance learning. I don't think that the average frum woman is willing to pursue a degree from such an institution simply because the courses may not be in keeping with her vision of frumma.

BAs in liberal arts leaves the door open to a variety of career choices in both the public and private sectors. A BA from a state university or private college tells an employer that you can learn a wide variety of perspectives, work well in a team, but also perform well independently. It also speaks to your desire to learn a broad range of subjects. (In public service we required copies of transcripts so it was relatively easy to get a grasp of what the student learned.)

Going into public service (or in a progressive private business) with a BA means you may have the option of having the employer pay for your MA or some advanced job qualification (ie. project mgr).

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 11:03 pm
I would try to settle on a long term plan before starting- decide on a graduate degree and learn what your options for schooling would be. You want to be sure that your BA will be relevant and likely to be accepted wherever you apply next. You also want to consider how many prerequisites the graduate program requires- which TTI may not offer.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 11:13 pm
amother wrote:
No, not in NY, but thanks. Maybe someone else will see that though and it will help!

TTI offers a BA in social work, which makes you eligible to thier Masters in Social Work program.
Its a one year program every Sunday full day.
If you decide on it, you will probably see me there. Say hi!

momofcuties1

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 12:58 am
I know this post is from years ago, but did anyone take the liberal arts capstone through Excelsior, how was it

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 1:01 am
I’m still fascinated. How does one teach without a BA. All
My friend who teach and my children’s teachers all have Masters-mostly for Columbia, Bankstreet, or Hunter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics