Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
It suddenly occurred to me that I have no talents..

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Aug 19 2017, 11:17 pm
I worked for close to 25 yrs. Started off for a number of yrs as a morah. Then worked in an office for a number of yrs (and got paid quite well). After having a few kids I worked from home for a while. Eventually working from home was really taking it's toll. I was never finished, worked late in to the night after kids were asleep, tried to work and make deadlines while kids were awake.... at that point my dh was earning nicely so we decided I would stop working temporarily and look for something much less stressful. Life became so hectic, dh was earning ok so I kept pushing it off. We could use more income and my youngest is out of the house but suddenly I realize that I cannot do anything!!! I am not up to date (far from it!) with computers, I don't have a degree, I do not want to be morah again, and I simply have no talents that I can use to enjoy bringing in some income. Here I am, in my 40's and I feel so incapable to even inquire about any position. I can't think of ANYTHING that I would enjoy doing, anything that I might be good at. Not trained or experienced in anything! What in the world should I do???

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Aug 19 2017, 11:33 pm
Start by exploring what you enjoy doing. This means, try new things, and discover which ones give you energy.

Some activities may be draining, some may feel exhilarating, some may feel relaxing.

List the activities you try and document how you feel about them.

This will give you an idea of what may be something that you can build off of.

My mother started her career at 45 and now, less than a decade later, she does quite well per hour. She loves what se does. You can too.
It's not all about the degree.

amother
Black

Post Sat, Aug 19 2017, 11:39 pm
You don't need talents, you just need some skills.

Take a few courses and bring yourself up to date with computers and current technology is the first step. You'll need to be proficient in that stuff to be taken seriously for most jobs these days.

crust

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 12:36 am
I think you are not aware of your talents.
Its impossible that you worked for so many years but are 'talentless'.
Going out to work every day for the bigger part of 25 years takes determination punctuality diligence devotion and so much more. Do you realise that determination punctuality diligence and devotion
are very important talents?
You had a home based business. In order to survive you needed a complete skill set which apparently, you had.
Any skill can be honed. You dont have to naturaly gifted. Most things can be learned.
Have you read what color is your parachute?
I suggest reading it just because it names hundrets of skills and talents. You need them to become aware of your own talents and skills.
Good luck. Dont be afraid. Smile

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 12:54 am
I felt the same way a few years ago. I don't as 35. I have a BA in Humanities, which is virtually worthless.

I kept exploring ideas. I had had a bieinss which took a turn due to issues beyond my control, so I sold it.

I read What Color is my Parachute.

I talked to lots of people.

I read a ton of business books.

I talked to more people.

Eventually, I decided to pursue newborn baby photography. It took a lot of time and money and education, and B"H my business does well. I will never get wealthy as a photographer, but the same can be said about most businesses a mom runs while she puts her family first. I had zero photography experience, and it took me six months to learn to use my pro camera.

I cannot carry a tune to save my life.

I'm so non-musical that I dance a half a beat off.

I'm not super organized or good at household chores.

I consider photography to be more of a skill than a talent - like a muscle, you work at it and it gets stronger.

Hatzlachah and enjoy this phase of doing research!!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 9:14 am
I agree with the poster above who mentioned figuring out what you enjoy, and taking it from there. There may be jobs which will train you in, or a business you can start with the activities you enjoy.
Also, as another poster mentioned, there may be a short course you can take to hone skills, without getting a degree, such as photography, basic computer skills, etc.

Hatzlocha!

cm

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 9:21 am
You may be able to find career counseling through your local community college or social service agency. Community colleges offer short programs (ranging from one semester to two years) to become qualified for a career. Browse through a college brochure and see if any particular program appeals to you. Think about your interests, what sort of work you see yourself doing (indoors or out? Self-employed or not? etc.) and look at the local economy. Once you put all the pieces together, you will be able to narrow your focus and make a plan. Good luck!

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 10:31 am
Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement.

I think part of my problem is that I simply don't want to learn something new now. Perhaps I have a fear of failing at what I will try to do. I can't imagine that I will be great at first at anything new that I will do. I will probably end up feeling embarrassed at first from mistakes that I will make. That's why I am wracking my brain to think of something that I am already good at and I can't think if anything! I am thinking of something that I really like to do so it would be worth a few uncomfortable scenarios and then be able to succeed. Sad that I can't come up with anything at all.

I think I would like to do something on my own and not start with a new boss and young people who would probably be better than me at what ever they do. If I work for myself I wont have to answer to a boss or feel inadequate in front of a staff.

I guess I have a fear of starting something new at this point in my life and not being good at it.

I will read the book "what color is my parachute". I hope it sheds some light.

LittleMissMama

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 10:37 am
Not everyone does their passion every day. Perhaps just start with an entry level job and go from there. Focus on spending a small amount of time each day doing something you enjoy just for personal fulfillment. The reality is, most of the time work is work, not play time. Don't think of your career/job as a key way to become a fully well rounded person. It's just a small piece.

crust

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 10:49 am
amother wrote:
Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement.

I think part of my problem is that I simply don't want to learn something new now. Perhaps I have a fear of failing at what I will try to do. I can't imagine that I will be great at first at anything new that I will do. I will probably end up feeling embarrassed at first from mistakes that I will make. That's why I am wracking my brain to think of something that I am already good at and I can't think if anything! I am thinking of something that I really like to do so it would be worth a few uncomfortable scenarios and then be able to succeed. Sad that I can't come up with anything at all.

I think I would like to do something on my own and not start with a new boss and young people who would probably be better than me at what ever they do. If I work for myself I wont have to answer to a boss or feel inadequate in front of a staff.

I guess I have a fear of starting something new at this point in my life and not being good at it.

I will read the book "what color is my parachute". I hope it sheds some light.

I don't think the book is very helpful if you want to be self employed.
Re the bolded: but you will still have to respond to all kinds of clients. It will be much more unpredictable and can make you feel very uncomfortable.
You need some training either way. Theres no way around this.
If you take a job you want to make sure you have a decent boss and coworkers.
If you are self employed, you want to get some training on how to market/operate your business or service in a competant up to date way.

Would you look into medical billing?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics