Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Please help me with jet lag

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 9:53 am
My littlest just turned 3 and we just back to Israel from America. We have been back for a few days and he's just not adjusting. I woke him up at 4:30 in the afternoon. He went to bed around 3 am and wake up at 8:30 for an hour or so. I know there are probably old posts on this, but I'm too tired to find them. Thanks

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 10:43 am
For an adult, the quickest way to get over jetlag is to force yourself to stay up during the day and go to bed at 10pm each night.
For a toddler, if he's used to going to bed at 7:00pm, he should now go to bed at 5:00pm (and adjust slowly each day until he's back to regular bedtime). It's better for him to wake up a little earlier and stay regulated than to sleep and be up at the wrong times.
Napping should take place in the morning when he shows signs of being tired. The hardest part is the afternoon since he can't nap then and you have to work hard to keep him up. But well worth it since you'll have your sweet toddler back.

fiji

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 12:09 pm
I don't have any advice just sympathy. Everytime we do America- Israel it takes a solid two weeks for my son to adjust. Hang in there, it will be over soon!!

heidi

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 12:25 pm
We just came back also and it's been an absolute nightmare-- for me as well as my child. Lots of sympathy and no real advice other than trying to wake him up and keep him up till his normal bedtime. Today I took my son to the beach for 4 hours and didn't let him sleep in the car on the way home. Keeping my fingers crossed.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 2:03 pm
Get plenty of sunlight and play time outdoors every day for a natural melatonin fix. That is what helps us most when we travel from Australia.

Try not to allow long daytime naps and put the kids to bed a little earlier instead.

This too will pass.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 3:32 pm
Thanks everyone for your sympathy and advice. He woke up at 4:30 today for the day and he's tired now I hope that he'll go down for the night now and not think it's a nap. Whenever I go I know it takes me two weeks also but it's so hard with a toddler.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 3:52 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks everyone for your sympathy and advice. He woke up at 4:30 today for the day and he's tired now I hope that he'll go down for the night now and not think it's a nap. Whenever I go I know it takes me two weeks also but it's so hard with a toddler.

If it's more than 2 hours before his usual bedtime from before the trip, likely his body will think it's a nap.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics