Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Salary for co teacher- midwest

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 8:05 pm
Hi all! I've been teaching in a preschool as an assistant for the past few years. This year I am being promoted to co teacher in an older (yet still preschool) class. How much should a married woman with one child (if the amount of children makes a difference) be making in such a position? I do not have a degree in teaching (the school knows, I'm not the only teacher that doesn't. All the main teachers do). Just looking for an average, as I was told what my salary would be this year but I'm thinking it's way too low...

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 9:28 pm
Bump...hoping to speak to my director tomorrow morning, if not tonight...

rachel0615

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 9:36 pm
I personally think salary should have nothing to do with marital status but with experience and training. Last year I was an es co teacher full day and made 50k but that was in ny where pay is higher. I would think 35-40 is more fair for Midwest (plus benefits)

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 10:11 pm
rachel0615 wrote:
I personally think salary should have nothing to do with marital status but with experience and training. Last year I was an es co teacher full day and made 50k but that was in ny where pay is higher. I would think 35-40 is more fair for Midwest (plus benefits)

Im from the midwest. Im imagining this is around 5 hours a day. You are a co teacher not the lead teacher. If this is a typical BY kind of school salary would be around 20k

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 10:26 pm
Amother baby blue, was thinking around there. No way I'm gonna get that much...but glad to know that's what's generally going rate. Yes 5 hrs.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 11:57 pm
I'm also from the Midwest. I was an assistant teacher (for primary grades) for about 18 hours a week, though no longer in the field. When I started out I got 8000 with a 3% increase every year. When I got married I got them to bump me up to $11,500 (I agree with the premise that single/married shouldn't make a difference in pay, but in this case I was good at my job and they liked me and I said I couldn't continue working there if I don't get a raise). My last year there they offered me a teaching position (main teacher, only a floating aide for assistance) for $20,000. I didn't take them up on their offer, but this was for main teacher - so I would think that a co-teacher who's not a lead teacher may be offered even less. Though if you work 5 hours a day that's more hours a week than I had.
Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics