Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Please teach me how to keep baby clothes looking new

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 4:38 pm
The title says it all. I understand that some clothes will inevitably be ruined but I'm trying to protect what I can. The worst is usually by the neck area. Do you soak the clothes? If yes, in what? Pretreat? Any advice would be helpful!

Anon because I've been asking everyone IRL!

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 4:51 pm
Oxyclean
Use the spray to spot clean and pretreat actual stains, and use the powder to add to detergent for extra cleaning power.

Ahuva

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 5:33 pm
Good bibs and smocks is the first step.
I like oxi spray or shout spray and I add biz to the load.

debsey

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 5:45 pm
Smocks, bibs and Shout! are pretty much the only choices you have. But honestly, baby clothes are kind of meant to get killed. They're babies!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 7:52 pm
Another vote for stocking up on pretty bibs that look good with baby's various clothes. Especially if you're formula feeding or as the dribbles stain badly.
Soak in Oxiclean dissolved in boiling water. And scrub out food stains with dish soap.

smile12345

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 7:54 pm
ra_mom wrote:
And scrub out food stains with dish soap.

Scrub rather than soak? I'm always scared that scrubbing might get the stain more ingrained rather than take it out eg. watermelon stains. Though I suppose I am wrong on that?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 8:12 pm
smile12345 wrote:
Scrub rather than soak? I'm always scared that scrubbing might get the stain more ingrained rather than take it out eg. watermelon stains. Though I suppose I am wrong on that?

I start off with dish soap. Make garment wet. Spread Dawn original dishsoap in palms. Rub into stains. Allow to sit 15 minutes. Scrub stains out with toothbrush. Rinse out all soap. Wash in machine as usual.
If I need to (especially whites), I soak in boiling water/Oxiclean.
But the dishsoap is not as harsh on the clothes and really breaks down oil and food stains.

smile12345

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 8:25 pm
ra_mom wrote:

If I need to (especially whites), I soak in boiling water/Oxiclean.

You soak in boiling water? Someone once told me (and I've been following her very religiously!) that should only use cold since hot will set whatever is left of the stain before it goes in the wash. But, I guess that's wrong too...

Good to know. I'm always stressing about stains not coming out.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 8:43 pm
smile12345 wrote:
You soak in boiling water? Someone once told me (and I've been following her very religiously!) that should only use cold since hot will set whatever is left of the stain before it goes in the wash. But, I guess that's wrong too...

Good to know. I'm always stressing about stains not coming out.

Yes it works better that way and takes quicker. But soaking is a last resort. I first try to get it out other ways first.
Don't use boiling water for more than a few minutes on fabrics that can't handle it.

bargainlover

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 8:45 pm
I just started using pure with clorox color safe and it is fantastic ! Takes out cherry ices, chocolate, etc. I also spray with shout before I put in the machine.

lucky14

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 9:07 pm
take clothes off as soon as they get dirty (if possible). Then treat them as soon as you can! Even if it's just spraying a little shout and rubbing it in.
I spray with shout, rub it in, then put dawn dish soap (the blue one) on it and soak it in water for a few hours until I'm able to wash it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry