Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Landsend backpack sizes

mango

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 1:14 pm
Can anyone help me figure out what size landsend backpack I should get for my average height 1st grader. Is Medium big enough? Would Large be too big? I want it to last a few years at least.
(FYI they are having a 50% off sale on backpacks and lunch boxes today and free shipping with no minimum!)

purple 1

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 1:19 pm
medium should be good, a first grader shouldnt be shlepping more then that each day

srbmom

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 1:24 pm
I bought my 1st grader medium and it's perfect

mamaleh

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 1:26 pm
I just went to lands end to check what I ordered last year.

My older dd (currently going into 6th) has an extra large. It holds a ton!!

My younger DD (currently going into 2nd) has a large. It is quite big enough. A medium probably would have worked last year, but I wanted her to have the extra space and be able to use it for a few years. Some of her classmates also had this size.

My older one prob could have managed with a large, too, but the extra large is easier for those big huge binders.

ETA about classmates

lfab

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 1:36 pm
My going into 3rd and going into 2nd graders have the medium sized bag. My going into pre 1-A child has the small size. The medium size bag should be perfect for a 1st grader and should be able to hold all she needs for at least the next few years. Remember, it is not good for kids to be dragging too much weight around in their bags. If the bag it too large it will allow them to carry too much stuff. Better to go with the medium size as it has ample room for what she needs but will ensure it is cleaned out regularly so not too much piles up over time.

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 3:03 pm
I'm surprised. My first grader last year used a small and it was perfect. It was a tiny bit close on the larger folder but I preferred that for her than the medium, which was huge for her frame (exactly average sized, according to doc charts.) I found medium closer to my size (average adult female height, slight build)! I bought a medium that I'm keeping on standby in storage in case the small is not good enough for her over the coming year (2nd grade) but her supply list didn't call for any binders so I'm thinking it should be fine because the notebooks will just be the same size as last year. Anyway I don't mind having the next size ready for whenever she grows into it. My kindergarten kiddo of course is using her size small again. They're the perfect size for those 5-7 year old bodies.

My going-into-2nd DD is using her SMALL size lands end backpack for camp and every day it holds TWO bath towels, two bathing suits, crocs, sunscreen, water bottle, small snack (second snack and lunch I send in a land's end lunch bag separately. I don't love them as much as the backpacks, by the way, but again with sale prices plus the guarantee it's good enough for me)... I didn't think it would work but it's been fine. During the 9 days when she only needed one bathing suit/towel/change of clothes, her lunch fit in there too.

The only disadvantage is that the smalls have no interior organizers. I really prefer having more pockets for little things. The Digital backpacks larger sizes (not sure about medium but definitely large) have the pen holders and those type of little slots that I like. But for school kids who are going to need pencil cases for their supplies anyway it's not such a deal-breaker. For myself I got this which is everything I need at a great size - of course I didn't pay that price (though with the 50% off it comes closer to reasonable) but I can't find the other color I got which was cheaper. https://www.landsend.com/produ.....::248

mango

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 5:40 pm
Thanks everyone for your advice! I ordered her a Medium as I want it to last.

GetReal

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 8:44 pm
My seven year old has a small. I can see her using it for a few more years.

L K

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 7:36 am
Are small ones too big for a 3- and 4-5yo?
I don't want to get them cute backpacks from the supermarket because they become dirty and ripped before the end of the yea.

I ordered medium digital ones on sale and they're huge, bulky and heavy for them. My 5-6 yo used one just fine last year.

They need backpacks to fit "full-size" paper for one, and primary stuff for the other one.

Ahuva's Mommy

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 12:56 pm
I got a medium one for my kindergartener. They asked for a large knapsack and since he will be traveling to and from school on a bus and not getting picked up, I wanted wanted him to be able to fit everything into one place and not get things lost. Most days, this will not be an issue, but when they send home large sized Parsha and Yom Tov projects, I wanted everything to fit. Eventhough it's large, I don't think it's going to get too heavy for him because he doesn't have books yet to shlep around.

Optione

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 1:51 pm
L K wrote:
Are small ones too big for a 3- and 4-5yo?
I don't want to get them cute backpacks from the supermarket because they become dirty and ripped before the end of the yea.

I ordered medium digital ones on sale and they're huge, bulky and heavy for them. My 5-6 yo used one just fine last year.

They need backpacks to fit "full-size" paper for one, and primary stuff for the other one.

My 3 and 4 year olds have the small. They are a full size - but not too big at all.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 3:28 pm
I just don't like when kids' backpacks of any weight hang down past their knees. I like it to rest comfortably on their backs. IME only the smalls do that for the early/primary school years. It was slightly large but acceptable on my 4-year-old and perfect on my 6-year-old, and is still the right size for both a year later.

I found it helpful that the LE website has suggested height measurements (rather than just the dimensions of the backpacks, which I find hard to visualize) as well as pictures of the backpacks on the kids with the measurements.

happyfaces

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 3:01 pm
Would anyone have the exact measurement of the medium backpacks? Tia

yogabird

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 3:12 pm
My going into second grader is going to be using a medium this year. It's big, but hopefully not too big. I'm not exchanging it because I bought it on clearance last year, but if I was buying it right now I'd probably go with a small. She's average sized.

happyfaces

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 3:36 pm
Would you be able to give me the height of the medium backpack please. Dont want it to be to small yet not to big either.

cnc

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 3:49 pm
happyfaces wrote:
Would you be able to give me the height of the medium backpack please. Dont want it to be to small yet not to big either.

The exact measurements are on the website.
I bought my tall first grader a SMALL. It was worn for 3 years and would have been the right sized for another year or two... . For fourth grade, I ordered a MEDIUM and it's very large.

Basically, I agree with seeker...

You definitely can't get a Medium for a first grader.

happyfaces

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 3:57 pm
cnc wrote:
The exact measurements are on the website.
I bought my tall first grader a SMALL. It was worn for 3 years and would have been the right sized for another year or two... . For fourth grade, I ordered a MEDIUM and it's very large.

Basically, I agree with seeker...

You definitely can't get a Medium for a first grader.

Thanks

I see it says 16.5 for the height. Can I go even smaller like a 14" ?

cnc

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 6:55 pm
happyfaces wrote:
Thanks

I see it says 16.5 for the height. Can I go even smaller like a 14" ?

You can but you may not get As much use out of it because as they go one from grade to the next they bring home more stuff...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars