Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Can't leave my 10 month old with anyone...

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 3:36 am
He screams all day when he is with me. He is very difficult. I feel guilty leaving him with anyone.

Someone is offering a 10 year old daughter to do 'babysitting' under supervision, which would be ideal as I'd be able to get a few things done (I can't clean or cook or work with him around) - but how can I leave such a highly strung baby with someone? Even for money. Even a teenager or an adult?

He yells when he wants something, if someone leaves the room he yells. In fact,he never stops yelling except when he's sleeping. And he's aggressive - he hits and bites. What do I do? I need a break but how can I let someone else deal with such as difficult kid?!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 4:24 am
here are two ideas:

sometimes young children react totally differently when they are alone with someone else, so give it a try for 20 minutes. if the sitter calls you and tells you it is unbearable, then return, maybe she will surprise you and say he calmed down - you enver know, kids are super unpredictable Wink

I dont know where you live but, in our town there are some very sweet experienced russain speaking women, who are around 50 years old, have chidlren and grandchildren, so they KNOW these cases and usually dont mind. they try to distract the child, hold them or put them in a stroller for a short walk. they dont just sit on the floor and play , which when a child yells permanently, usually doesnt help so much.
id prefer that to a teenager (personally insuch a case)

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 3:34 pm
As an experienced babysitter and nanny, I would also say to give it a try - but make sure you are out of the house. Even better, have a teenager take him out of the house. Babies behave differently with different people, and they also behave differently in different environments. Warn the babysitter (who should be an older teen with babysitting experience, not a 10 year old when yoru baby knows you are in the next room) that he's a screamer and you just want to try an hour (don't try less, sometimes it takes them at least 20 min to stop crying). Offer to pay double if needed.

Also, if your baby is such a screamer in general, you may want to talk to the pediatrician about it - maybe there is something you can do for him (fluid in his ears, teething, sensory sensitivity, food allergies, etc.) - sometimes finding out that there's a mild underlying problem and taking small steps to address it makes a big difference (I.e. discovering your baby is allergic to eggs and cutting out eggs).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics