Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Games or videos for Executive Function help

studying_torah

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 10:48 pm
My oldest dd struggles w executive function. Time management, focus on details but not lose sight of the big picture , and general maturity are some of the main issues.
I have tried the therapist route, but she is very resistant. I took out a library book but that was too overwhelming for her.
Looking for some online or board games or videos to help dd gain some skills.
She's high school age, btw.

Thank u so much!

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 6:38 am
I know this is not what you asked for, but would you be interested in reading a book for parents and helping to guide her?

The book "Smart but Scattered Teens" is inexpensive and has good reviews on Amazon. I have never read it, but it may be worth a shot if you have the time. You seem to be more motivated to see a change than she is at this point, so if she'd be open to accepting your guidance, this may be a good way to go.

ETA: The following website has some videos on the topic geared towards teens: http://learningworksforkids.co.....ons/.

I'm not sure if they teach skills or just provide education about executive function, but perhaps they will be helpful.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 8:12 am
I tried the book as well. She does not want to hear anything from me, or dh. I thought a game that improves her skills will help but be fun & less direct than my talking to her.
Will check the website.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 7:44 am
Oh my, I thought this was maths. Don't call it executive function. Don't buy books. Let her deal and figure out what works or not in real life.

Shoshana37

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 7:53 am
I have the same issue with my 14 year old daughter. OMG she is so opposite of me and I try very hard to not compare her with my oldest he is so organized, very focused etc...with that being said I learned to accept and let her learn on her own. this made me realize after my hubby and I had a discussion about her and he told me he used to be just like her but he changed after he married me. So now I think Hashem created her exactly how she is supposed to be. Just embrace it and love her/him the way they are.

Mom23gs

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 8:01 am
Try apps that teach coding and other puzzle games that encourage motor planning, organization and sequencing. If you are on facebook there is a page called Executive Functioning Toolbox with nice ideas.

chestnut

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 11:38 am
Mom23gs, that FB page is awesome!

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 3:11 pm
Following this conversation because I work a lot with people who have EF needs, and have been working on developing a more cohesive program to work on these. It seems in this thread that motivation is a huge factor, perhaps more so than the actual skills (which can only really be learned and practiced if the person is on board in the first place.) Would anyone like to share ideas of how an executive function program could be more motivating to teens and preteens? Any successful experiences in this regard?

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 3:13 pm
seeker wrote:
Following this conversation because I work a lot with people who have EF needs, and have been working on developing a more cohesive program to work on these. It seems in this thread that motivation is a huge factor, perhaps more so than the actual skills (which can only really be learned and practiced if the person is on board in the first place.) Would anyone like to share ideas of how an executive function program could be more motivating to teens and preteens? Any successful experiences in this regard?

Exactly what I would like to learn more about. Aside from traditional rewards.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 3:20 pm
Rewards aren't going to motivate a teen or preteen to work on these kinds of skills... gamification maybe but that will only take you so far. There are games to strengthen foundation skills like working memory and processing speed, but in general you'll still need more specific strategies to bridge that into real-life skills like managing tasks and schedules.

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 4:12 pm
I have ADHD - big executive function deficit. Rewards actually can work - but they have to be big. Stickers and candies won't work. Try really big things - money, or points towards a laptop, or some other big thing they want. Obviously, this isn't the only way to go, but don't rule this one out. Let the teen help you plan it - they know what they want. It may not work for everyone, but my parents did this with me well into my teens and it was the only thing that motivated me to learn new skills.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 11:01 pm
I have NVLD (major ef issues in certain areas) and I find that playing simple, spatial based games help immensely, like tetris or snake. Board games like monopoly and chess help with things like critical thinking and advanced planning. If your DD is anything like I am, talk therapy doesn't work at all because we already tend to talk things out in our own minds and are steadfast in our conclusions.

The only thing that works for me in terms of time management is breaking things down in its individual steps and making a visual chart for it. But also, simply learning from experience that if I need to be in x place by y time, I need to get started at time z to be on time. Including getting up (with time for snoozing) getting dressed (maybe breakfast) and using whatever mode of transportation I would use.

Thing based rewards don't work on me. Ever. If I don't have that thing now, it doesn't matter if I do or don't get it later. For that matter, punishment doesn't work on me either for that reason. But something more emotions based such as special time together or an experience may be a better carrot to dangle for some kids.

Ef issues are tough for the kids dealing with them, OP. Thank you for trying to help your DD before it gets worse!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children