Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
No redeeming qualities

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 9:55 am
Can I still daven for forgiveness and a good year? Seems like the ultimate chutzpah.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 9:58 am
Hashem is the Av Harachamim. We all say in the tefillos that we are all sinners and unworthy, but please give us rachamim like a father, not din like a king.

Besides you ARE worthy. You are a capable person and Hashem loves you.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 11:02 am
Yes!

I feel like I can't add to the previous post but I'll say this anyways. Isaac Asimov had a short story mystery series about a group of people who called themselves the Black Widowers. They would have regular meetings and in each story, there was a guest who would have a puzzle for them to solve. The regulars would start grilling the guest with this question: How do you justify your existence?

Have you said a kind word to someone? (It counts if you do it here too.) Davened for someone? (Plenty of people here to say a quick prayer for.) Congratulations! You have justified your existence and have every right to ask to stick around to do more. And while you're at it, "Harchev picha v'Amaleihu," widen your mouth in prayer and go for broke. Ask for everything. Hashem will fill it as He sees fit, which might not be the script we wrote, but it is always appropriate to ask for what you think you need to serve Him optimally. And the asking alone is already a mitzvah:
- It shows you believe that He is the only one (One) who can affect change.
- It builds a connection and that is what life is all about, building connections, which gives us the practice to build the ultimate connection, with Hashem. I've heard that avodah zara is called "el zar," which we translate as a strange power. Rabbi Keleman (and many others) say it's a power that estranges us from all we should be connected to.

Have a wonderful day! You deserve it!

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 11:21 am
Listen to rabbi fischel schachter on Torah anytime from last week.
He discusses there that our best zchus for Yom hadin is being mechazek our fellow Jew.

If you feel like you don't have anything for Yom hadin, then maybe take upon yourself that from now through Yom Kippur you will provide one sincere compliment to one person each day.

Or that you will reach out for help and provide others with the opportunity to have a zchus for Yom hadin by providing you, a Jew with chizzuk. You may be the one who causes someone else to have the zchus for a good year. I think that is very worthy indeed.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 12:06 pm
amother wrote:
Listen to rabbi fischel schachter on Torah anytime from last week.
He discusses there that our best zchus for Yom hadin is being mechazek our fellow Jew.

If you feel like you don't have anything for Yom hadin, then maybe take upon yourself that from now through Yom Kippur you will provide one sincere compliment to one person each day.

Or that you will reach out for help and provide others with the opportunity to have a zchus for Yom hadin by providing you, a Jew with chizzuk. You may be the one who causes someone else to have the zchus for a good year. I think that is very worthy indeed.

This reminds me of something Tammy Karmel says. Uplifting others enhances and broadens their bechira. I'll explain: when someone is uplifted, s/he's more likely to spread the cheer and make good choices her/himself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur