Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Advice for learning to crochet kippot

emzod42

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 12:09 pm
I already crochet, and I'd like to try making a kippah for my husband. What kind/size of thread/yarn do you recommend and where can I get it in American stores/online? I looked at AC Moore and they had thin cotton yarn, but only in a few basic colors. He likes the ones with sort of an ombre look (white to another shade). Also, are there any patterns or tutorials you recommend? How much yarn is needed? Thanks!

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 1:08 pm
DMC perle cotton size 8 and 5 are the most popular and come in a rainbow of colors. Start with size 5 because thinner thread is harder for a beginner to work with.

Chain stitch 6 stitches, then close the circle. SC two stitches in each stitch, IOW increase in all stitches. Next row inc every other stitch, third row every third stitch, fourth row every fourth stitch and so on, by then you should be able to see the pinwheel pattern forming and increase at each corner.

Occasionally inc between corners to keep the disk flat until it's 4or 5inches in diameter, more depending on how big you want the kippah to be. Then increase less often to start the bowl curving. How much you need to increase will also depend on how tight your stitches are. Loose stitches make for a more flexible and thus more forgiving product. Constantly stretch the bowl over your knee or a sheitel form as you go to encourage a good shape.

If the edges curl in like the top of an ear, you need to increase more. If they get wavy like lasagna, increase less.

Do you plan to crochet a design? You'll probably need to crochet a bit looser while doing so because you don't increase while working the design.

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 1:29 pm
Use pearl cotton, not plain cotton. Pearl is smoother and lets the hook glide thru stitches, unlike plain which grabs the hook and is harder to detangle.

How big a kippah do you want to make? If your dh wears the cholent bowl type, you will probably need six or seven rolls. The big balls of plain cotton would be more economical, or you could use the thin wool yarn that's used for making baby sweaters. If you plan to make the smaller MO style kippah, three to four rolls should do it. Again it really depends on how tight your work is. Tighter work uses more thread. Buy more than you think you need because as you know, if you buy more in the middle of a project, it will likely be from a different dye lot and may not match perfectly.

For size 5 thread I used hooks size 5-9 (gradually smaller as I grew more skilled.) with size 8 thread I used hooks size 10-16. In metric system hooks, an 0.60 is very fine, equivalent to about a 15 or 16 I think.

emzod42

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 7:16 pm
Thank you! Your responses were very helpful. I'm not planning to try any designs until I get the hang of the shape.

DallasIma

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 10:16 am
Following. I'm a brand-new crocheter and I've been experimenting with different kinds of basic stitches, trying to get my tension right and get the stitches right. There are a lot of great videos on YouTube. My ultimate goal is to make a kippah for my husband (but shhh, it's going to be a total surprise when I make it and give it to him!). I'm also not planning to do designs for now - just want to get the hang of doing a basic kippah.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing