Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
How much food for a bbq with sister and family

bargainlover

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 1:04 pm
She will be coming with her husband and 1 kid that eats. Plus my husband and 2 kids that eat. All kids under 4. Making 4 burgers, 11 hit dogs, and 1.5 lb chicken cutlets. Is this enough protein? How many buns and sides?

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 1:43 pm
Sounds like a decent amount. (Although personally I'd do some more burgers. )
Get a pkg of 8 hot dog buns and 8 burger buns (can be used for chicken too).
Sides: grilled zucchini is inexpensive, if that's what you're going for.
Grilled eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, onion. Grilled peaches for dessert.
(Or a salad instead of some of the grilled veg.) you can also put out toppings for sandwiches such as sauerkraut, lettuce and tomato.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 1:43 pm
Corn on the cob is also filling and inexpensive

Raisin

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 1:53 pm
you can also get pitta or wraps for the chicken. I would also do a little more burgers. (or have meat ready to cook, you can always save for another day if not cooked)

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 2:22 pm
You need at least as many buns as meat. And I agree add a few more burgers, salad and fruit. Ask your sister to bring fruit or dessert if you want.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 2:23 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Sounds like a decent amount. (Although personally I'd do some more burgers. )
Get a pkg of 8 hot dog buns and 8 burger buns (can be used for chicken too).
Sides: grilled zucchini is inexpensive, if that's what you're going for.
Grilled eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, onion. Grilled peaches for dessert.
(Or a salad instead of some of the grilled veg.) you can also put out toppings for sandwiches such as sauerkraut, lettuce and tomato.

I think she's way high on the hot dogs, and way low on the hamburgers.

I assume that the kids are little. Hot dogs are a choking hazard, and not particularly healthful. Unless you think that the adults are going to want the hot dogs and not hamburgers, you're left with 7 people splitting 4 hamburgers.

1-1/2 pounds of cutlets is probably about 3 cutlets. They'll cook down to about 5 to 6 ounces each.

So I'd do a few more burgers, more chicken (that can always be used for leftovers) and cut the hot dogs.

tichellady

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 3:00 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

I assume that the kids are little. Hot dogs are a choking hazard, and not particularly healthful. Unless you think that the adults are going to want the hot dogs and not hamburgers, you're left with 7 people splitting 4 hamburgers.

1-1/2 pounds of cutlets is probably about 3 cutlets. They'll cook down to about 5 to 6 ounces each.

So I'd do a few more burgers, more chicken (that can always be used for leftovers) and cut the hot dogs.

Agree.
Use chicken tenders if you want 1.5 lbs to go farther.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 3:54 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

We and our friends have kids in the age group op mentioned, and all the kids ate way more hot dogs than hamburgers. You can cut them up for the little ones to eliminate the choking hazard issue. I agree to make more burgers for the adults though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus