Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Snowsuit or Coat??

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 3:43 pm
for a baby born this past April, should I get a coat or a snowsuit for the winter?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 3:45 pm
there is an issue with putting a baby in a car seat in a coat or snowsuit, because they can sink in it and then the straps are not placed how they should be and a baby can have the airway cut off. Try looking into a bundleme

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 3:46 pm
My baby was born in January and it didn't dawn on me to get a coat for her. Snowsuit, hands down! (Disclaimer - you might live in a different climate zone. I'm in Canada.)

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 3:50 pm
I use a bundleme. It gets very hot in a snowsuit. I put on a jacket / sweatshirt amd hat, and unzip the bundleme if it gets warm. Also it's much faster to get the baby ready.

cnc

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 4:02 pm
I do a coat with a footmuff. It's easier to get on and I can adjust for warmth. (Open or take off the footmuff.) I find that my babies get very sweaty in snowsuits.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 4:12 pm
We had our baby in April and didn't have a car so we walked everywhere. We bought a snowsuit and it was the best thing. We used a foot muff too. With a car we would go with a jacket coat.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 4:18 pm
Jacket & footmuff/bunting
My babies where very uncomfortable in a snowsuit

cm

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 6:37 pm
Snowsuits are a nuisance. Warm coat and blanket in the stroller (footmuffs are a bit after my time).

Nothing heavier than a light jacket in the car seat, please, for safety's sake. It is next to impossible to pull the straps tightly enough over a heavy coat. In a crash, baby could be pressed against the straps with tremendous force, flattening the coat, leaving the straps too loose to be useful.

As a suburbanite in an area with weather similar to New York's, I found we were rarely outside long enough when traveling by car for my baby/toddler to get really cold while transferring from car to store (for example). A hat and extra baby blanket on top of the light jacket did the trick. An older toddler/young child can be assisted in and out of a coat quickly.

lucky14

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 10:31 pm
coat and sweatshirts and hats and mittens (not necessarily to wear all at once, but get all of those things). Many times I didn't even bother with a coat (they're such a hassle to put on and take off every time to get into or leave the car), just layering with a sweatshirt and piled on the blankets when he was in the stroller or car.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 10:43 pm
It really depends on your lifestyle.

I live an urban, pedestrian lifestyle. When my baby was an infant (much younger than yours) she always wore a snowsuit in the bassinet of the stroller (plus a blanket) We were hardly ever in the car.

But if you are in and out of a car, where in a car seat it's unsafe to even be wearing a jacket at all, a snowsuit is unnecessary
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics