Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Should I take DS to an endocrinologist?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 10:47 pm
DS just turned 12 a couple of weeks ago. He had his annual physical exam in June, and the pediatrician shocked me by informing me that DS is an "early bloomer." He claims that he began puberty about two years earlier than average, or so he says. DS just returned from camp, and he seems a bit hoarse; at the very beginning of his voice changing. His older brother's voice began changing about a half year ago, at age 13.5, also somewhat early. The pediatrician claims that early puberty runs in families.

DS is only about 5 or 5'1. I'm 5'3 and DH isn't much taller, only about 5'5 or 5'6. How much longer can I expect him to grow? Should I take him to an endocrinologist for an evaluation to see if growth hormones are necessary?

Can I expect my daughters to undergo puberty early too?

amother
Magenta

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 11:06 pm
Our pediatrician told us that until a boy has a full beard he can still grow. But I don't know anything about your other questions

doctorima

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 11:14 pm
If you're worried about it, I definitely think it's reasonable and appropriate to take him to an endocrinologist for bone age, projected height, etc., so that you can decide what intervention if any is appropriate. No idea how that affects your daughters.

Shoshana37

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 11:16 pm
My sons voice started to change before his bar mitzvah he is now 16 and still getting taller. His beard is still not full. My daughter started puberty at age 11 and had her period right after her bat mitzvah.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 2:04 am
I think you can only take growth hormone before puberty starts but you can ask the doctor.

mother4

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 2:38 am
I think it's a genetic thing, and not much an endocrinologist could do at this point. but like others said, what does your pediatrician say?
I have read in books ( and seen in life) that the psychological affects the physical in kids too. So if a child is more mature than others psychologically, they may develop earlier in puberty. I was also told that kids that were molested, tend to develop earlier. I actually know a 7 yr. old that was abused and started growing a mustache and got a deep voice. not to get u scared- ch"v it is likely not the case here. According to the books 12 is not abnormal. In fact, puberty can start as early as 9 in boys. Just saying...

hotzenplotz

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 2:22 pm
please do. when your done, I would advise you to have all the test records sent to your pediatrician.
Afterwards, tell the pediatricians office you need the copy of all tests for a second opinion or whatever it takes to get the copies for yourself. Please consult with Dr Tsu Tsair Chi of Anaheim CA. he does $110 telephone appointments: 714 777 1542. By reading endocrinology and blood reports he can tell abnormalities and how to fix them. In other words, a lot of scientific things I wish they would teach in medical school. please pm me if you have any questions.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 10:03 pm
Honestly, I'm surprised by the answers here.

Growth hormones are a serious topic. Any time artificial hormones are added to a person's body, you run the risk of serious side effects. Many times, we don't even know what the long term effect of playing around with hormones are.

Why does he need hormones? To be a bit taller? For that, it is worth it to manipulate his body in an unnatural, potentially dangerous manner?

familyfirst

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 11:57 pm
Take him but you gotta do it soon, especially if he already started puberty

Likely the Dr. Won't encourage hormones. Especially considering your and your husband's height.

Whatever you do, make sure to say-do things that encourage a healthy self esteem in your child. Develop hobbies, have him mentor younger boys, and never ever make him feel bad about his height

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 12:10 am
I took my dd because of early puberty. Most endocrinologists will not give hormones unless child is predicted to be really short (undet 4'8"/girl, 5'1"/boy)or Iif puberty is really young (girl getting period under 9) But it probably doesnt hurt to go and see what the dr says.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics