Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Need toy recommendations - trying to break tv addiction

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 11:39 pm
Unfortunately, my kids became addicted to TV due to a hard time in the family where I allowed them to watch endlessly for hours as I was coping with serious challenges.

I am trying to get back on track now that I'm healthy again. However, my kids want to watch and not play. They say the toys are boring. I have everything imaginable - cars, dolls, blocks, other building toys, tons of arts and crafts stuff (stickers, coloring, cutting, etc), outdoor toys, and a lot of other things. They bore easily and have no interest.

My son will play outside for a short time or ride his bike and then want to go watch. He'll do something for 15 minute increments.

I need toys that can engage my kids for hours or at least an hour or so without being bored.

I researched special games and bought some board games but after 2 days he was bored of it.

I'm really at a loss. I try to sit on the floor, actively do projects and games and puzzles but he just is not interested.

Is it too late? Is there a way to break the addiction?

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 12:56 am
It is a very difficult thing for kids to give up. I think you should try to train him to focus in small increments. Maybe start with 15 minutes playtime and increase day by day. My kids love magnatiles and playmobile. That's the only thing that will keep them entertained for a long time. Good luck!

pizza4

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 1:01 am
Building toys like Lego and clics, imaginative, little people, little animals. It also depends on the kid... some kids are just easily bored. I have one that will play for a short time and get bored and another who can play for an hour straight. Perhaps try to get a playmate to make it more interesting. Try sensory bins, my kids love them. You don't need fancy toys, the simpler ones are way more interesting!

salt

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 1:06 am
Make-believe games, eg. a toy kitchen, or stroller and doll.
What do they play in school/nursery?

Would it help to get rid of the TV entirely, so that it's not in sight - out of sight, out of mind.
You could keep it in storage if you don't want to actually get rid of it.
Just while you try and break the habit.

Boca00

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 1:16 am
Its great that you see the problem and are taking steps to help him!

Building toys are the only thing that keeps my boys entertained. Playstix, magnatiles, klix, bristle blocks, wooden blocks and tinkertoys are all good options. You can also try getting a pretend drill and tools and wood pieces that can be fit together.

He's going to need to learn to play with toys again as he's out of practice, so have patience and slowly increase play time. Inviting friends is also a good idea to make this time more exciting.

Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers