Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
How much to give as wedding gift if part of making 7 brochos

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 10:21 am
In November a friend of mine child is getting married. How much would you give as a wedding gift if you are chipping in for a group Sheva brochos in restaurant?

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 10:27 am
How much do you give if you don't make a SB?

Personally - I don't make an adjustment to my standard gift. However - my budget allows me an entertaininment expense, and the SB falls into that category. (So as a result I may host fewer shabbos meals that month).

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 10:55 am
If I am part of a sheva brochos, I don't give a gift. Making sheva brochos is not cheap so I consider that to be the chassunah gift. My friends do the same. I would love to give a gift also, but we are all on relatively tight budgets.

essie14

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 10:57 am
When I got married everyone who participated in sheve brachot did not give a gift. When I have been asked to participate in sheva brachot at a restaurant the main person organizing it usually says "this can be your gift to the couple".

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 11:09 am
essie14 wrote:
When I got married everyone who participated in sheve brachot did not give a gift. When I have been asked to participate in sheva brachot at a restaurant the main person organizing it usually says "this can be your gift to the couple".

Interesting. Is what she is really saying - please don't give the couple an additional gift because it would embarrass the rest of us who won't be.

(I'm not a fan of being told how generous I may be. That's my call).

essie14

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 12:07 pm
amother wrote:
Interesting. Is what she is really saying - please don't give the couple an additional gift because it would embarrass the rest of us who won't be.

(I'm not a fan of being told how generous I may be. That's my call).

I took it as "We want you to participate and we don't want you to decline because you feel like you would be spending double of what you intend to give as a gift."

Ruchel

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 1:07 pm
essie14 wrote:

Yeah, this. I don't consider my budget tight but I certainly don't have an entertainment budget LOL

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 3:57 pm
Thank you for your replies. Last time we were part of the same groups Sheva Brochos in June. The kallah walked over to us and thanked us for the wedding gift we gave them. We were surprised to find out we are the only one that gave a gift.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 4:23 pm
I just made Sheva Brachos, together with a couple of SIL's, for a niece. It was a beautiful homemade affair. I kept track, and my expenses were around $150. I am not giving a separate wedding gift. I really can't afford more than that.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 4:26 pm
The Sheva Brochos will be in a restaurant.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics