Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby cries a lot during tummy time
Previous  1  2

octopus

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 11:15 pm
Lie down on Ur bed and out baby on your tummy or chest or nurse lying down with Ur baby tummy to tummy with u.

lucky14

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 11:27 pm
amother wrote:
You probably did about the 20 minutes a day that is recommended. We are looking at the total minutes per day, not per session.
There are other ways to master the skills and build the muscle that tummy time offers, but it takes creativity and much more detailed instructions. Hence, the general "tummy time" instructions.

To answer the question about it being beneficial:
We are not working on the baby's happiness. We are working to build muscle strength and integrate integral reflexes that are crucial for brain development. However, that being said, a good OT or PT should be able to work on the said goals without causing baby the distress you are describing.

nowhere near 20 minutes. Maybe like 9 minutes total of REAL tummy time- like him on his stomach on the floor.

I understand that you aren't working on happiness, but I couldn't stand seeing him that unhappy. As I said he never got more OK with it. And I didn't see the need to take him to an OT or a PT- is that what you'd normally suggest? There were no developmental red flags. He just didn't like tummy time.

on a side note my husband and I were wondering if it would have made a difference if we hadn't ONLY had him on his back for the first few days of his life while he was laying down. Like what if we would have switched him to his tummy some while he was still in the hospital.

mamamia1

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 11:45 pm
amother wrote:
Can you summarize in a few bullet points the things you've heard against tummy time?

I think the article posted above says it all with some additional links at the bottom.
IMHO the issues with infants developmental is bc of the restrictions on their ability to explore freely via any movement. being stuck in car seats and confined spaces too much of the time.
Of course some tummy time on the parents' legs as a natural part of the holding and playing with a child is OK and even necessary. But again IMHO the urgency is bc so many babies today are in their strollers/ carseats most of the time and are not given floortime in any position. Babies need freedom to move. With this freedom they will naturally develop at their own pace.
Hatzlacha

I will add that some of my kids were NICU babies and I got them EI services for which Im eternally grateful for the OT and PT services and therapists.

I simply think that with the information I have now I would have been much less worried and more trusting in the childs natural ability to develop at their individual pace. - its a whole different outlook. And similtaneously watched out for developmental concerns.
As opposed to what I did which was be in a constant state of concern about their development and future.

Last edited by mamamia1 on Tue, Aug 29 2017, 11:54 pm; edited 3 times in total

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 11:50 pm
lucky14 wrote:
nowhere near 20 minutes. Maybe like 9 minutes total of REAL tummy time- like him on his stomach on the floor.

I understand that you aren't working on happiness, but I couldn't stand seeing him that unhappy. As I said he never got more OK with it. And I didn't see the need to take him to an OT or a PT- is that what you'd normally suggest? There were no developmental red flags. He just didn't like tummy time.

on a side note my husband and I were wondering if it would have made a difference if we hadn't ONLY had him on his back for the first few days of his life while he was laying down. Like what if we would have switched him to his tummy some while he was still in the hospital.

"Real tummy time" like you are referring to is only recommended like that to be able to get the message across quickly and easily to the general population. You mentioned a lot more things in your post that are also tummy time, yet you discount them.
No, if the child is not delayed, then there is no need for OT or PT. However, as an OT, based on the way the children are sitting in the classroom, I can tell you who is struggling with creative writing, who has trouble copying things from the board, who has trouble with math, and who struggles with reading. I can just look in from the window, and be fairly confident that I am pretty much accurate.
Not always do children have trouble integrating the reflexes when they don't do tummy time/crawl, etc. Overall, as a general rule, what you see developmentally is what you get as the outcome.
But the only way to know is to do an evaluation, and I don't see the babies or children in question. Therefore, the general rule of thumb is to follow the guidelines. They are there to help you.

I can't answer about keeping the baby on its back for the first few days of life. I don't have enough knowledge of newborn care and the effects it has on tolerating tummytime.
If you are really interested, you can search the cochrane database to see if there were studies done that cover this.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 11:57 pm
mamamia1 wrote:
I think the article posted above says it all with some additional links at the bottom.
IMHO the issues with infants developmental is bc of the restrictions on their ability to explore freely via any movement. being stuck in car seats and confined spaces too much of the time.
Of course some tummy time on the parents' legs as a natural part of the holding and playing with a child is OK and even necessary. But again IMHO the urgency is bc so many babies today are in their strollers/ carseats most of the time and are not given floortime in any position. Babies need freedom to move. With this freedom they will naturally develop at their own pace.
Hatzlacha

I will add that some of my kids were NICU babies and I got them EI services for which Im eternally grateful for the OT and PT services and therapists.
I simply think that with the information I have now I would have been much less worried and more trusting in the childs natural ability to develop at their individual pace.

So you are not saying that tummy time is bad. You are saying that it's better not to keep babies in car seats.
Two separate issues.
Also, there is nothing wrong with swaddling newborns-just putting it out there. It's good for them. Wearing babies is good for them too.

Basically, use your judgement. The article was trying to bring out a point and along the way became to narrowly focused. It has a point. Don't leave your baby in a car seat too long. Everything else may be a bit out of context.

You may be against leaving baby on belly on the floor, but are okay with interacting with baby while baby is on belly, but that is not exactly what you wrote. Your post (and the article) made it sound like you were completely against tummy time (which includes all positions).

The premise that tummy time is not good for babies is inaccurate at best and damaging at the worst.
Be careful what you say when it comes to something so crucial for proper development.

mamamia1

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 12:11 am
amother wrote:

Be careful what you say when it comes to something so crucial for proper development.

I actually think this statement can be applied to the big talk and recommendations on tummy time. As the OT mentioned above its 20 min a day in total and so much of our natural interactions with babies will include some of that time. but for the public they just say it as 20 minutes of tummy time.
I think that widespread recommendation without a real education is the danger.

This article explaining child development is educational and empowers the parents to make informed choices as opposed to mindless following of protocol.

And yes I did swaddle and wear my babies too. And have no regrets on that

The issue is having a whole different perspective on child development and understanding that I wish id had when my kids were infants. Wish I had known of Magda Gerber./ Janet Lansbury And again, Everything with a grain of salt

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 12:20 am
mamamia1 wrote:
I actually think this statement can be applied to the big talk and recommendations on tummy time. As the OT mentioned above its 20 min a day in total and so much of our natural interactions with babies will include some of that time. but for the public they just say it as 20 minutes of tummy time.
I think that widespread recommendation without a real education is the danger.

This article explaining child development is educational and empowers the parents to make informed choices as opposed to mindless following of protocol.

And yes I did swaddle and wear my babies too. And have no regrets on that

The issue is having a whole different perspective on child development and understanding that I wish id had when my kids were infants. Wish I had known of Magda Gerber./ Janet Lansbury And again, Everything with a grain of salt

Parents who make an educated choice are going to conclude that tummy time is vital due their babies best development. And letting them play on the floor as you mention is great and can be part of that.

nnmom

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 3:50 pm
What if baby doesn't like it and rolls over (at 3.5 months), keep flipping them back?

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 3:57 pm
tsc3 wrote:
I can definitely vouch for how important it is even if they cry. My third is having real developmental delays because of hated tummy time from day 1. Don't give up.

And my third is riding a scooter at less then two years old with barely any tummy time.

I'm not saying not to do it, all I'm saying is that these recommendations are not the be all, and end all of everything.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 5:21 pm
op here
if I put my baby on her stomach and she picks up her head nicely, but after two or three minutes she starts crying and crying and then I see that she is no longer picking her head up, should I still keep her on her stomach? or try again later?
meaning, is there still a point in having her on her stomach if I see that she is not picking up her head?

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 6:06 pm
amother wrote:
op here
if I put my baby on her stomach and she picks up her head nicely, but after two or three minutes she starts crying and crying and then I see that she is no longer picking her head up, should I still keep her on her stomach? or try again later?
meaning, is there still a point in having her on her stomach if I see that she is not picking up her head?

Let her go until her limit, and then pick her up right before she begins to cry.
Her limit should extend by a few seconds over the next while. So you are doing it for 2 minutes 10 times a day. By next week, you may be up to 2 minutes and 20 seconds each time, and you can decrease the times per day if it get tedious. You just want to make sure your baby is getting about 20 min total.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 6:52 am
I'm French. We have no tummy time. We walk to our chuppa, I swear.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 7:23 am
Ruchel wrote:
I'm French. We have no tummy time. We walk to our chuppa, I swear.

I don't know how it works in France, but here in the US, back in the early 1990s a new campaign called "back to sleep" began. It encourages all parents to only put babies to sleep on their backs. Because of this campaign, we've had a reduction in SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome), but we have also had a rise in developmental delays. Therefore, tummy time was introduced. Babies need to be on their bellies for a minimal amount of time each day. Tummy time is supervised time on their belly.

And that is the history of American tummy time.

Do you do back to sleep in France?

A side note. Tummy time is not about preparing for walking so much as it is about strengthening the upper body, and creating important pathways in the brain that prepare the child for future learning and development. I get that walking to the chuppah is a euphemism, but I wanted to share that point as well.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 8:00 am
We joke the baby did a full turn from when my grandmother was told how to do, to us... People will mostly do what they feel is right, plus baby turns rapidly so you can't control anymore. Moyshele was raising on his arms before the bris lol.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 2:07 pm
what age do I need to implement this? also, is tummy time in a crib okay? is it dangerous?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 2:39 pm
Tummy time is even good on your lap. If in the crib, as usual make sure the are no suffocation it strangulation hazards.
It's actually a great place since if he turns over he'll just hit the railing or padded surface.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics