Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
ISO recommendations for 8 inch drill press for bookbinding

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 6:49 pm
I'd appreciate any input, from any imamothers who do bookbinding, or if they could ask their husbands, sons, fathers, brothers, etc. eho do.
TIA!

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 8:28 am
Bump

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 11:02 am
Try Ebay there is a plentitude of used and new bookbinding drills for sale. If you are just planning on using a standard press look for an old Craftsman (made in the US) or an older Skill. Stay away from the cheap junk at Harbor Freight.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 11:34 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
Try Ebay there is a plentitude of used and new bookbinding drills for sale. If you are just planning on using a standard press look for an old Craftsman (made in the US) or an older Skill. Stay away from the cheap junk at Harbor Freight.

Thanks. I'm just trying to figure out which is best. Craftsman does have a good name.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 11:39 am
amother wrote:
Thanks. I'm just trying to figure out which is best. Craftsman does have a good name.

Old Craftsman and Skill drill presses are easily adjustable and hold up well. You can find them at garage sales or on Craig's List for under $50. Be sure that they are the old US made ones though the newer made in China ones go out of wack easily.

If you are just getting into bookbinding check out some of the youtubes on building your own bookbinding jig for a drill so you don't need a press or making your own press.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 11:46 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
Old Craftsman and Skill drill presses are easily adjustable and hold up well. You can find them at garage sales or on Craig's List for under $50. Be sure that they are the old US made ones though the newer made in China ones go out of wack easily.

If you are just getting into bookbinding check out some of the youtubes on building your own bookbinding jig for a drill so you don't need a press or making your own press.

Build my own sounds interesting but maybe risky.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 12:00 pm
Are you using traditional woodworking drill bits or binding bits? (hollow)

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 12:01 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Are you using traditional woodworking drill bits or binding bits? (hollow)

I'm not that big a maven LOL Just using whatever comes with the drill press to make holes in the book.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics