Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Yom tov cooking-for those who have time now not later
Previous  1  2

cnc

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 6:51 pm
yogabird wrote:
Does everyone that cooks ahead have an extra freezer?

I cook ahead and I have an extra freezer. My regular freezer is very small. I keep an extra freezer open all year round.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 6:57 pm
yogabird wrote:
Does everyone that cooks ahead have an extra freezer?
For many years I did not have an extra freezer but cooked in advance anyway for YT. I'd use up whatever stock I had in the freezer as I'd slowly add the new dishes. I also pack things very compact (think orzo laying flat in quart size ziploc bag). I even froze soup sometimes in flat ziploc bags. Challah which takes up the most room would be done last, once the food was being transferred from the freezer to the fridge for thawing before YT. That way I was able to freeze fresh the challah that wasn't being used immediately and enjoy fresh challah whenever I pulled it out of the freezer over YT. All vegetables are made fresh on erev YT and salads made fresh on YT.

yogabird

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 8:18 pm
ra_mom wrote:
For many years I did not have an extra freezer but cooked in advance anyway for YT. I'd use up whatever stock I had in the freezer as I'd slowly add the new dishes. I also pack things very compact (think orzo laying flat in quart size ziploc bag). I even froze soup sometimes in flat ziploc bags. Challah which takes up the most room would be done last, once the food was being transferred from the freezer to the fridge for thawing before YT. That way I was able to freeze fresh the challah that wasn't being used immediately and enjoy fresh challah whenever I pulled it out of the freezer over YT. All vegetables are made fresh on erev YT and salads made fresh on YT.

Thanks, this was very helpful.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 11:01 pm
Sure!

by

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 4:02 am
I am in EY, and my regular freezer is quite small to begin with. I do have an extra (also small) freezer that I use all the time (many things are better kept in the freezer here due to bug issues), and before YT I have to reorganize and use up stock like ra-mom so everything will fit Smile

Iymnok

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 6:06 am
Put all your flours and legumes in airtight containers for the next month.
Also a large airtight container for your spices may be worth it too.

cbg

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 9:36 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I have frozen cooked quinoa and cooked rice with no sauce and they reheated beautifully. I bake rice in 9x9 square pans or 9in round and freeze. Just stick it into the oven covered on yomtov until its heated through. My favorite is this recipe from last years mishpacha for this rice with a crumb topping. I also really like this rice from a facebook group that has mayo and chickpeas.

Can I get the recipe of
Rice with crumb topping
Rice that has mayo and chickpeas
TIA
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus