Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
What are hilchos tznuis

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 12:20 am
What are the halachos exactly? Not what are we recommended to do, what are the real halachos?

ttbtbm

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 12:29 am
Cover collar bone, elbows, knees, hair (for married women) and legs and feet. I remember learning the discussion with legs is whether the part of leg below knee is considered the shok. Depending on minhag hamakom (which is determined by your rav) either the part of the leg below know must be covered or doesn't have to be butnthe ankle and foot does need to be covered.
Disclaimer: this is something I last learned many years ago so I could be making some mistakes. As always it's best to discuss with your Morah d'asrah.

CDL

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 12:35 am
There are many different opinions. Depends on your rav and community. Maybe be more specific about what type of community you are part of, so that you get answers better suited to you.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 12:55 am
I'm asking what is Halacha. Now what people do in different communities.

tichellady

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 1:03 am
amother wrote:

Basic halakha, dress and act as a modest person. No specific guidelines, use your common sense for what that means, and it might differ depending on the situation and context.

More defined rules in terms of dress- don't show cleavage, cover to elbows, cover knees, don't dress in clothing that is very fitted

Even more defined- cover collarbones, elbows, knee/ or to ankles. Bright colors are problematic

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 1:06 am
amother wrote:

The Halacha is not agreed on unanimously. Different rabanim have different opinions. So for example, married women covering hair - most rabanim say it's halacha, but there are those who say it's not.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 3:35 am
amother wrote:
What are the halachos exactly? Not what are we recommended to do, what are the real halachos?

You need to ask a Rabbi. I'm sorry. There's too many opinions. I say one thing is halacha and another poster will say differently. That doesn't mean there's confusion. It just means different sects of Orthodoxy follow different gedolim.

I learned that the word tzniyus actually means to be bikavod, mechubad- meaning self respecting. So there's the whole covering your knees in any situation (so skirts should be a few inches longer), elbows, collar bone, sides of neck, wearing thick socks, hair 100 percent, not tight clothes, tight colors, anything eye catching.... Etc. and there's also not sitting with your legs open, screaming, sitting on people (more applicable for non married folk) etc.... Whatever you or you Rav defines that as....

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 3:45 am
Classical halacha has almost nothing to say about female dress. Halachos of tznius per se are a pretty recent way of addressing the issue. That's why you'll get conflicting information.

Maya

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 10:11 am
Cover upper arms halfway down to the elbow; cover thighs until the knees; don't show cleavage.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 10:19 am
amother wrote:
but op, different communities hold differently what is halacha in terms of tzniut.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 11:39 am
No cleavage, some say just don't show breasts, some hold must cover till collarbone, some cover collarbone, some hold need a turtleneck or collar buttoned up neck.

Cover "upper arm": some hold just must have some sort of sleeve ie: no sleeveless; some hold must cover halfway down between shoulder and elbow, some cover till elbow, cover elbow, some say sleeves need to go to wrist (that only hands need not be covered.

Covering the "shok" (thigh): some hold need to cover till halfway till knee, some hold till knee, some say cover knee, some say 4" or 6" below knee.

Covering legs (below what is covered by skirt): some say not necessary at all, some say some sort of cover is needed but sheer is Ok, as long as it's there doesn't need to be clearly visible. Some say needs to be a certain thickness or color.

Clear as mud?
LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions