Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Sewing up for $600

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 3:41 pm
Is there anybody that sees up nice things for around this price everything included in brooklyn? Included gives style + fabric

CDL

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 5:50 pm
Sewing up what? Maybe be more clear about what ripped and how bad the damage is and what article of clothing it is. Sounds extremely expensive unless you meant to write $60.

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 5:54 pm
CDL wrote:
Sewing up what? Maybe be more clear about what ripped and how bad the damage is and what article of clothing it is. Sounds extremely expensive unless you meant to write $60.

Sounds to me like op meant to say sew up a dress for a simcha

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 5:54 pm
She's looking for a dressmaker. $600 covers design, fabric and sewing.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 6:26 pm
member wrote:
Sounds to me like op meant to say sew up a dress for a simcha

Tnx. Didn't realize I wasn't clear. Pp

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 8:25 pm
Perhaps try zori on 13th Ave. Though not sure if their prices

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 10:20 pm
amother wrote:
Tnx. Didn't realize I wasn't clear. Pp

I think "sew up a dress" is a local expression

isrmss91

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 12:39 am
Tznius Princess might be in your price range. Was just there. They have an instagram page, so you can different styles. The owner can customize for you.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 12:46 am
$600 it's very hard to find that price range. I heard someone in lkwd does that for like $300 for mom/sis of bride.
BP prices
For bride:$800-4000 most ppl spend ($800-1200)
Mom of bride: 800-2500 (most spend $300-800)
Sis of bride $550-2000 (most spend not more than $700 and then shorten it and then use it as a tenoyim dress)
(Yessssss-we live in a crazy society)
I would buy online maybe on Amazon or AliExpress. Idk I haven't had a wedding in years so Im not sure if I would sew up a gown.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 5:36 am
The correct term that's universally understood would be a custom made dress/gown.
There are dresses in which only the fabrics and notions cost that.
For half that price you could get a tznius dress costom made online then have it altered if the fit isn't perfect.

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 6:07 am
amother wrote:
$600 it's very hard to find that price range. I heard someone in lkwd does that for like $300 for mom/sis of bride.
BP prices
For bride:$800-4000 most ppl spend ($800-1200)
Mom of bride: 800-2500 (most spend $300-800)
Sis of bride $550-2000 (most spend not more than $700 and then shorten it and then use it as a tenoyim dress)
(Yessssss-we live in a crazy society)
I would buy online maybe on Amazon or AliExpress. Idk I haven't had a wedding in years so Im not sure if I would sew up a gown.

and meanwhile teachers are not being paid.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 7:44 am
Those prices are absolutely nuts.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 9:36 am
ita with ruchel.

why on earth do people pay such prices???

what is SO special about these dresses?

how come custom dresses are so much cheaper in europe? are ours uglier? worse quality? less stylish???

please explain. these prices seem totally crazy to me.

if id pay 1000 euro, I would probably recieve all organic fair trade material, no child labor involved, superb designer and high end seemstress with at least 5 fittings. I would have to look like an angel otherwise id refuse to pay. thats totally insane.

my custom made wedding dress 9 years ago was 200 euro including all fabric, 3 fittings and I really found it stunning. it included the design (which we worked on for several hours) veil, petticoat, the actuual dress, all accessories needed for the dress (like custom made buttons, hidden zippers, she even dyed my shoes, so that they match exactly with the silken patterns on the dress... it was a really beautiful dress b´´H, I was very happy with it. 200. maybe prices went up a bit in the meantime, but none of my friends would pay 1000.

tf

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 9:44 am
amother wrote:
ita with ruchel.

why on earth do people pay such prices???

what is SO special about these dresses?

how come custom dresses are so much cheaper in europe? are ours uglier? worse quality? less stylish???

please explain. these prices seem totally crazy to me.

if id pay 1000 euro, I would probably recieve all organic fair trade material, no child labor involved, superb designer and high end seemstress with at least 5 fittings. I would have to look like an angel otherwise id refuse to pay. thats totally insane.

my custom made wedding dress 9 years ago was 200 euro including all fabric, 3 fittings and I really found it stunning. it included the design (which we worked on for several hours) veil, petticoat, the actuual dress, all accessories needed for the dress (like custom made buttons, hidden zippers, she even dyed my shoes, so that they match exactly with the silken patterns on the dress... it was a really beautiful dress b´´H, I was very happy with it. 200. maybe prices went up a bit in the meantime, but none of my friends would pay 1000.

I guess it almost pays to fly to Europe for a dress. LOL LOL LOL

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 10:00 am
While the high end of the ranges are too high for me, the numbers are not outrageous.

I had a custom wedding gown made 25 years ago. The fabric alone was several hundred dollars in the garment district of NYC (much better prices than anywhere else in the region). Good quality fabric is very expensive, much more than you would expect if you are not familiar with the industry and buy only ready-to-wear. Generations ago, home sewing was economical, but generally isn't any more.

I paid the seamstress another several hundred to make up the dress. Considering the time commitment and skill required, seamstresses don't earn all that much. The total cost was the same as buying a similar dress (very simple - no beading or fancy embellishment) in the store.

There has been some inflation over the past quarter century. If you want a dress constructed in the US by a professional earning a living wage, using quality materials, it will cost a bit more now.

As for the top of the range, it's great that some people can afford it, and I assume that those who pay so much for custom dresses are philanthropic as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics