Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Help me use up ingredients in my kitchen

momof2+?

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 11:50 pm
I'm trying to use up ingredients in my kitchen. These are the items I need help incorporating into a recipe:
1. A can of crushed tomatoes with basil
2. package of ramen noodles chicken flavor. Bought for "crunch" over salad but we are trying to eat 'healthy' salads these days...
3. nondairy coffee whitener. Given to me when person was moving. it's frozen. We don't drink coffee.
4. quinoi. Looking for a recipe where it is part of the main dish. not just a salad.

Thanks in advance!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 11:56 pm
momof2+? wrote:
I'm trying to use up ingredients in my kitchen. These are the items I need help incorporating into a recipe:
1. A can of crushed tomatoes with basil
2. package of ramen noodles chicken flavor. Bought for "crunch" over salad but we are trying to eat 'healthy' salads these days...
3. nondairy coffee whitener. Given to me when person was moving. it's frozen. We don't drink coffee.
4. quinoi. Looking for a recipe where it is part of the main dish. not just a salad.

Thanks in advance!

Make meatballs with the crushed basil tomatoes.
Just cook up the ramen as per package directions and eat a bowl full (you can skip the seasoning packet and season as you wish).
Blend the non dairy creamer with strawberries, pineapple and mandarin oranges for ambrosia. Or make vanilla crumb cake. And you'll probably have enough left over for perfectly chocolate chocolate cake as well.
Stuff Portobello mushrooms with quinoa.

momof2+?

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 12:11 am
~Love the quinoa idea! 1 down Smile

~Trying to watch my weight and the soup is over 300 calories Smile Maybe I'll make my own soup and add the package to spread over the whole families portions?

~Mix the tomatoes into the meat mixture? or cook the meatballs in the tomatoes? watered down? (don't even know the texture of the crushed tomatoes. thick or soupy?)

~Is nondairy creamer and whitener the same thing?

THANKS ra_mom!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 1:56 am
momof2+? wrote:
~Love the quinoa idea! 1 down Smile

~Trying to watch my weight and the soup is over 300 calories Smile Maybe I'll make my own soup and add the package to spread over the whole families portions?

~Mix the tomatoes into the meat mixture? or cook the meatballs in the tomatoes? watered down? (don't even know the texture of the crushed tomatoes. thick or soupy?)

~Is nondairy creamer and whitener the same thing?

THANKS ra_mom!

Use the crushed tomatoes as a base for tomato sauce.
Saute onion and garlic. Add crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Season with some sugar, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning tp taste. Simmer until tasty then add meatballs and cook through.
Yes coffee whitener aka coffee creamer.

momof2+?

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 9:09 am
bump for more ideas now that it's morning...
thanks everyone, and have a great day!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 12:27 pm
Make a veggie stir fry, and then sprinkle the dry ramen noodles on top. Cook them just enough to absorb some of the sauce, but not enough to get them soggy. They should be an accent, and the majority of the dish should be slightly cruncy veggies.

Season with garlic, ginger, a dash of soy, and some rice wine if you have it. No sugar needed.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 12:29 pm
Put frozen strawberries in a blender, and add a dash of lemon or lime juice. Process with the whitener, and you'll have a parve sorbet for dessert. You may need to add a little bit of sweetener, so check the flavor. If you're avoiding sugar, honey or agave nectar works great.

IME, Splenda is gross.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains