Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Measuring hair length video

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 10:41 am
I just saw this video clip of a teacher measuring girls hair length? Can someone please fill me in? What's happening?

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 10:45 am
This in action. It's a mom, not a teacher

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 10:47 am
It's a mom meaning the mothers are enforcing this? Or she is working /volunteering for the school?

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 10:50 am
amother wrote:
It's a mom meaning the mothers are enforcing this? Or she is working /volunteering for the school?

It appears that the moms are doing the actual measuring of their daughters hair - but the notice (which needs a good edit) seems to indicate that the school faculty would be doing the measuring).

ETA - its written in passive voice, so I suppose nothing really speaks to who does the checking...

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 10:54 am
It's still ridiculous, either way...

Last edited by amother on Fri, Jul 05 2019, 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 10:56 am
Ok whatever I'm still not really getting it... Its reminding me of the war for some reason.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 10:59 am
amother wrote:
Ok whatever I'm still not really getting it... Its reminding me of the war for some reason.

I hear you.

I'm cool with schools having rules. However, this kind of policing of the rules is jarring.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 11:03 am
amother wrote:
I hear you.

I'm cool with schools having rules. However, this kind of policing of the rules is jarring.

I understand it's for tznius by why not measure skirt lengths first or something like that? Hair grows..

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 11:05 am
amother wrote:
I understand it's for tznius by why not measure skirt lengths first or something like that? Hair grows..

This is check hair day. Maybe check skirt day is another day.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 11:08 am
Why is this a big deal? All schools have rules with varying levels of hashkafah. I'm somewhat modern. I wouldn't send my kid to this school, but then again I wouldn't send my kid to a school that insists woman shave their heads, can't have a smartphone, woman can't drive, Can't have a tv, ect. Why can't we all just send our kids to schools that have a hashkafa that is in line with our own? Why is this hair length rule any different than any of the other rules that we can either agree with and consider the school, or don't agree with and send elsewhere.

I see this topic is creating a ton of hoopla on FB.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 11:12 am
amother wrote:
Why is this a big deal? All schools have rules with varying levels of hashkafah. I'm somewhat modern. I wouldn't send my kid to this school, but then again I wouldn't send my kid to a school that insists woman shave their heads, can't have a smartphone, woman can't drive, Can't have a tv, ect. Why can't we all just send our kids to schools that have a hashkafa that is in line with our own? Why is this hair length rule any different than any of the other rules that we can either agree with and consider the school, or don't agree with and send elsewhere.

What do ur type of schools demand in line with this?

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 11:15 am
amother wrote:

My kids school has a rule that I need to send her a change of clothes.

If I had to come in on a Sunday to show them that I had packed said clothes in her bag, I'd be annoyed. Or if first day of school the morah went through my daughters bag with me present to check that I packed everything on the list, I'd be...

I'm an adult. I'll follow the rules. If there is a rule regarding the the length of my daughters hair, I'm responsible enough to follow it. That's what bugs me about this.

I'm not sure that not treating mothers as competent is a hashkafa.

benny

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 11:22 am
amother wrote:
My kids school has a rule that I need to send her a change of clothes.

If I had to come in on a Sunday to show them that I had packed said clothes in her bag, I'd be annoyed. Or if first day of school the morah went through my daughters bag with me present to check that I packed everything on the list, I'd be...

I'm an adult. I'll follow the rules. If there is a rule regarding the the length of my daughters hair, I'm responsible enough to follow it. That's what bugs me about this.

I'm not sure that not treating mothers as competent is a hashkafa.

I dont agree with this post. Unfortunately many parents don't follow school rules.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 11:22 am
This is also being discussed here, scroll down to skip the posts from 2014.

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....t=180

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 11:24 am
benny wrote:
I dont agree with this post. Unfortunately many parents don't follow school rules.

Well then. Police state it is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics