Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Cookie sheet for a blech

Post Fri, Sep 01 2017, 11:00 am
Has anyone tried this? On vacation and trying to figure out how to keep food warm.

momofqts

Post Fri, Sep 01 2017, 12:43 pm
Don't do it. It can catch fire. Burn a hole through

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 01 2017, 12:45 pm
What she said.

Just warm everything until piping piping hot, wrap in towels, and eat meal early. Wink

Post Fri, Sep 01 2017, 12:49 pm
I figured that was the answer but wanted to confirm. I thought we had an oven at the hotel. Oh well.

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 01 2017, 1:11 pm
Seems to me if you have a heavy duty baking sheet it's at least as thick as a blech if not thicker. If you're talking disposables that's a different story. I have very heavy aluminum baking sheets considerably thicker than my blech. I wouldn't use them as a blech because that would ruin them.

Iymnok

Post Sat, Sep 02 2017, 3:24 pm
My parents got theirs over 35 years ago at a metal shop. They asked for a sheet of steel.
A real cookie sheet is fine, buy a disposable pan is a really bad idea.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 1:23 am
Do NOT use a disposable one! They will melt and burn.

I use a heavy duty professional grade cookie sheet, and fill it with water. Then I put a slightly larger size cookie sheet upside down on top of it. This makes a "water blech".

Because you have a keli of water underneath, you can stir pots, and take things on and off the blech. It solves a lot of halachic problems! It also gives a nice even heat all Shabbos long, without anything getting dried out or burnt.

Pour boiling water into the blech just before Shabbos, and set the heat to "simmer". Easy Peasy!

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 1:26 am
We use a water Bleich which is a hotel panwith a flat lid. I've done this in a hotel with a foil pan and those lids that are purpose made for them. The water keeps it from burning out and the lid keeps if from evaporating

TeachersNotebook

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 11:41 pm
Did I make this up or did I hear somewhere that a blech has to be able to cover the knobs too?

The idea of a water blech is so innovative! Do you know any more details about how it changes the halachos of a blech?

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 11:51 pm
andrea levy wrote:
We use a water Bleich which is a hotel panwith a flat lid. I've done this in a hotel with a foil pan and those lids that are purpose made for them. The water keeps it from burning out and the lid keeps if from evaporating

How does a disposable foil pan over a direct flame not burn a hole through?

Ruchi

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 11:12 pm
TeachersNotebook wrote:
Did I make this up or did I hear somewhere that a blech has to be able to cover the knobs too?

The idea of a water blech is so innovative! Do you know any more details about how it changes the halachos of a blech?

You did not make this up. It is indeed the case, that the knobs should be covered.

Post Tue, Sep 05 2017, 7:59 am
Hi all. Thanks for the suggestions. We made an overnight potato kugel double wrapped in the oven (we weren't expecting to have) and the putting the food in the top of the off cooktop was good enough

For the person asking about the water blech. We use one at home and love it. Look up kediera blech.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note