Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Busing to Passaic High school

pilkins

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 3:02 pm
I am considering sending my daughter to high school in passaic. Does anyone know of a van that goes from Monsey to Passaic?

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 3:25 pm
Just saying, Bais Yaakov of Monsey is an amazing school. Feel free to ask me any questions- my daughter's currently attending school at BYM so I have firsthand info...

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 8:16 pm
Some of the schools have transportation from monsey to Passaic. I know Machon Ora does.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 8:40 pm
Why would you commute to Passaic when there are so many similar options in Monsey? Even for Machon Ora, your daughter would miss out on friends and social occasions that would happen in Passaic. Although the girls who go to Machon Ora from Monsey do like it.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 4:35 am
OP, I don't have an answer to your question, but I went from Monsey to Elizabeth daily for high school and it was great. I had my Monsey friends PLUS my school friends and had a bustling social life. Just to counteract the naysayers.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 6:22 am
To the naysayers-
I am not OP but also making a new out-of-town school choice for my kids which I came to after much thought and waying the decision on both sides - fully aware of the remifications and pros and cons.
The op is not asking for advice about the decision but a busing question. Please refrain from offering unsolicited advice.
(I was going to sign with my screen name but mentioning the change in schools for my child I will be amother .)

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 8:10 am
One of the naysayers here -- if it were so common for people to commute their kids from Monsey to Passaic, she wouldn't even be asking the question. She'd know about the busing situation from the hundreds of kids that get bused. Like the Monsey - Elizabeth school.

As for the Elizabeth girl - people would only choose Elizabth b/c hashkafically there is nothing in Monsey even close to what you would get in Elizabeth. You didn't really have much of a choice if you wanted that option. Monsey schools and Passaic schools are not that far off.

I also heard from a girl that went to the Elizabeth school that the girls in Elizabeth questioned why she didn't just find a school in Monsey. Its not like its out of town.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 2:22 pm
I know of a car pool

FaygieofLA

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 2:29 pm
Many schools are awesome.

But there are many reason to send to out of area like that....social, better programs, etc.

amother wrote:
Just saying, Bais Yaakov of Monsey is an amazing school. Feel free to ask me any questions- my daughter's currently attending school at BYM so I have firsthand info...

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 2:43 pm
There's a van of girls coming from Monsey to Machon Ora every day (although one Monsey girl just switched out of Machon Ora to a Monsey school).

I don't think any girls from Monsey commute to BY of Passaic.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 3:07 pm
amother wrote:
There's a van of girls coming from Monsey to Machon Ora every day (although one Monsey girl just switched out of Machon Ora to a Monsey school).

Yes. Can think of a few

cookies6

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 10:13 am
amother wrote:

Yes, there are several girls in every grade from Monsey. I do believe they have some type of transportation arrangement.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 10:48 am
amother wrote:

There's at least one minivan of girls from Monsey that go to YKP/BYP.

I commuted for HS. It's definitely easier to stay local but that's not always an option. I had school friends and home friends, my elementary school local friends were happy to keep my in their chevra. I even went to my home town's schools get-togethers when we were in seminary. If there was a school event on Shabbos I slept at a friend but there are only 1 or 2 school Shabbosim a year so it didn't happen all the time.

cbsp

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 4:10 pm
(realizing this is an old thread but adding in case this is helpful for someone else)
FWIW there is an NJ Transit train that goes from Suffern to Passaic. There are many Monsey commuters to NYC that take it daily.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children