Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Bedtime for 11 year old

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 9:16 pm
What time is your child's bedtime? What time does he/ she need to be home before bedtime? How much time before to start getting ready? What time dues your child wake up? How about on shabbos? Motzaei shabbos?

tweety1

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 9:42 pm
Really depends on girl or a boy. My 12 (just turned 12) year old dd bedtime is 9:00 but my son who just turned 11 I'm planning to keep to 845 that's cuz he has to wake up a full hr before my daughter and cuz he's a boy has a much heavier day in school. Everybody comes home the same time at around 745.
How much time they need to get ready also depends on the kid. I have kids that it takes them 5 min to get ready and I have kids that it takes them 45 min to get ready. That being said I make sure each child is up accordingly. I like to let them on their own pace. I send off Kah a lot of kids at once and I find that if I rush them it only makes the morning more hectic and chaotic.
Shabbos also depends of Boys or Girls and ages. The older Boys go to shul so they have to be up by 845-9:00 the latest. My girls I let them sleep till whenever they want. It's their time to "shluf zeech ois".
Motzei shabbos winter we eat melava Malka and then regular bedtime. Summer into bed after havdalah.

Maya

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 9:49 pm
During the school year my kids wake up between 6-6:30 am so bedtime is at 7:30 and my 11 year old can read until about 8:00. I try to keep the schedule mostly the same for the weekend as well.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 9:54 pm
Some kids need more sleep than others. I set bedtimes based on how well they function on x amount of sleep. Dd11 goes to bed at 8:45 and can read till 9:30. She needs to be up at 7:00 to catch her bus at 7:50. No bedtimes on weekends.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 10:27 pm
Maya wrote:
During the school year my kids wake up between 6-6:30 am so bedtime is at 7:30 and my 11 year old can read until about 8:00. I try to keep the schedule mostly the same for the weekend as well.

Your 11 year old is in bed at 7:30 every night?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 10:52 pm
My 6th and 7th grade boys technically I have a bedtime at 9 PM for them. They have to get up at 7 to make it to 7:30 shacharis on time. L'maisa, on days they have had school I don't usually have to prompt them to go bed; they are wiped out from an early start and long day. Days they didn't have school are much harder (they have slept in, aren't as tired at 9, etc)

Shabbos is a different thing altogether. Still working that out. Zmanim where I live are very, very late. They go to sleep after havdala, but that's still not enough time. IIRC, school starts at 8 AM for them on Sundays which isn't so much extra time.

Maya

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 11:50 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Your 11 year old is in bed at 7:30 every night?

Most nights, yes. Unless something comes up or we have to go somewhere, etc.

cnc

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 12:02 am
Maya wrote:

Wow. How do you get your kids out of bed so early? Do they wake up on the own or do they need to be up that time to make the bus?

tichellady

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 12:08 am
I certainly didn't have a bedtime when I was 11. So interesting reading about how different families work.

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 6:57 am
cnc wrote:
Wow. How do you get your kids out of bed so early? Do they wake up on the own or do they need to be up that time to make the bus?

Once we get into the school routine, they wake up on their own. They need to get on a 7:15 bus. And they have breakfast at home.

nicole81

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 7:01 am
My 11 year old goes to bed at 8:30. She wakes up at 7:45am.

devash1

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 7:05 am
Wow I think I need to show this to my kids. I can't seem to get any of my kids to go to bed until 10 and that includes a nine-year-old. They think that they can go to bed whenever they want but at least they all get up in the morning at 7. I have decided to pretty much stopped battling it because when they get tired they eventually fall asleep earlier or sleep a lot more on Shabbos.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 7:09 am
Oh my. 11 year old around me are more like 10, 11...

salt

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 7:20 am
Depends on whether they have older siblings too.
I would like my 11 yr old DD to be in bed by 8:30, but she has older sisters up and about. Even if she's in bed, she hears the chat going on, and often lies awake till close to 10.
She doesn't actually seem that tired, and she gets up fairly promptly at 6:45am with an alarm clock, so I guess she's not lacking too much sleep.
It's just that falling asleep at 10pm seems terrible late for an 11 yr old, and often in the afternoon she seems a bit knocked out, but obviously gets a second wind after supper.

Shabbat she sleeps in till about 8:30am.
Motzei Shabbat is later bedtime, and it is often harder for her to get up on Sunday (Israel here). But we usually aim for an earlier bed time on Sunday night.
Doesn't always happen.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics