Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
One of Us (new documentary about ex-Chassidish ppl)
  1  2  3  11  12  13  Next

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 2:17 pm

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 2:47 pm
I hate when they generalize. Not everyone is bad. In every religion or community there is good and bad. No one is perfect.

wouldn't it be nice if they also made a documentary on how the chassific life is beautiful and fulfilling. But I guess that wouldn't sell.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 2:48 pm
this honestly upsets me. Not because I don't believe that there are issues in the chassidic communities, but these issues can come up in any community, or faith. It shines a bad light onto a sect of judaism that is otherwise happy and functional. everyone has problems, but why make it seem like chasidim are to blame. Even modern orthodox homes can have children that go off the derech, or abuse. It is not one way of life that causes these issues, it can happen to anyone.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 3:08 pm
I remember watching the the video ''it gets besser''. It is so stupid because the people were like, oh my gosh I didn't learn the word gymnasium, or oh my gosh I didn't learn the word dinosaur like come on get a life!

You don't have to be completely off to rebel there are other options out there like become a different chasidus or modern Orthodox or yeshivish.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 3:12 pm
Is it possible if you can take it off I just realized who the player is. He is from a Rebbish family. He nebach went thru [private info removed] as a boy. Please as respect for the family can we take down the post

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 3:18 pm
amother wrote:

wouldn't it be nice if they also made a documentary on how the chassific life is beautiful and fulfilling.

They did once. It was called "A Life Apart: Chassidim in America". There was also some segments of Oprah about Chassidim.

However I think the main reason that it's not done as often as negative publicity is because those who are secure in their beliefs don't feel the need to constantly engage in aggressive PR.

Just like when on this forum a topic that is unique to Chassidim gets bashed (by outsiders or ex-Chassidim) you'll rarely see anyone strongly defend it. They simply don't care about the ignorant or disrespectful critique by others. Secure people don't feel threatened and hence don't have the need to defend themselves.

Just my two (secure) cents.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 3:20 pm
who is the "They" you are all referring to?

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 3:26 pm
Ironically the endless proselytizing and PR of the OTD crowd had the opposite of the intended effect on me. It made me see them as unhappy insecure people desperately looking for validation.

And their endless efforts to make a caricature out of Orthodox Judaism caused me to stop believing their claims of being motivated by truth seeking.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 3:32 pm
amother wrote:
Ironically the endless proselytizing and PR of the OTD crowd had the opposite of the intended effect on me. It made me see them as unhappy insecure people desperately looking for validation.

And their endless efforts to make a caricature out of Orthodox Judaism caused me to stop believing their claims of being motivated by truth seeking.

Who are you talking about?

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 3:58 pm
amother wrote:
Is it possible if you can take it off I just realized who the player is. He is from a Rebbish family. He nebach went thru molestation as a boy. Please as respect for the family can we take down the post

What's a player?

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 4:05 pm
TY, I just put it on my watch list for Netflix. Heidi Ewing and Rachel Grady did a great job with ?esus Camp. I look forward to seeing this film.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 4:11 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
TY, I just put it on my watch list for Netflix. Heidi Ewing and Rachel Grady did a great job with ?esus Camp. I look forward to seeing this film.

And that's part of your problem. That you believe these things. And have no other frame of reference. Enjoy

chag334

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 4:14 pm
This is so sad! It's true that there is so much good and beauty to hilight. Imagine if a positive film were made. People would be in awe of the chessed, the family structure, the good middos our children have.. Unfortunately it's never their intention to showcase that..

sequoia

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 4:17 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:

Me too! I loved Haysus Camp.

sequoia

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 4:17 pm
chag334 wrote:
This is so sad! It's true that there is so much good and beauty to hilight. Imagine if a positive film were made. People would be in awe of the chessed, the family structure, the good middos our children have.. Unfortunately it's never their intention to showcase that..

That's not really how art works.

sequoia

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 4:19 pm
amother wrote:
Is it possible if you can take it off I just realized who the player is. He is from a Rebbish family. He nebach went thru molestation as a boy. Please as respect for the family can we take down the post

If by "player" you mean "actor" - this is a documentary. There are no actors. It's actual people being interviewed.

And what on earth does his "Rebbish" family have to do with anything?

Maya

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 4:31 pm
chag334 wrote:

And here it is. The chessed part. I'm surprised it took more than two posts before it was brought up.

It's true that they do chessed. It's also true that the lifestyle involves many radical, restrictive and borderline abusive practices. It's also true that a lot of the chessed is contingent on the continuity of this borderline abusive lifestyle, and often offered only to those who are committed to the lifestyle. One does not negate the other, and there's no reason why we shouldn't be allowed to talk about only one aspect of the whole picture.

This documentary focuses on the abuses heaped upon those who try to leave, and like a poster said above, other documentaries focus on the good parts. You're a hypocrite if you praise that one but disparage this one. Take the bad with the good. Learn about the entire picture, the entire community, and don't pick and choose to talk about only the things that make you feel all warm and rosy. This is the reality of the lifestyle.

While nowhere near as extreme as the instances shown in the trailer, I have some personal experiences with the difficulties of leaving the community. It bugs me when people try to whitewash these issues in order to feel good about themselves, especially people who know absolutely nothing about the lifestyle and wouldn't survive living it for a week.

I don't know if I'll be watching this documentary. I know some of the people personally and it may be too upsetting for me. I just wanted to comment on the inevitable chessed posts. You're not doing anyone a favor by pretending this doesn't exist.

Zehava

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 4:42 pm
Will definitely be watching. While some documentaries like those on child abuse are too triggering for me to watch, I generally don't shy away from the dark parts of life. I feel it is my duty to know what mankind and especially my brothers and sisters are capable of.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 4:47 pm
amother wrote:
And that's part of your problem. That you believe these things. And have no other frame of reference. Enjoy

Whats the rest of her problem?

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 4:57 pm
Maya wrote:
And here it is. The chessed part. I'm surprised it took more than two posts before it was brought up.

It's true that they do chessed. It's also true that the lifestyle involves many radical, restrictive and borderline abusive practices. It's also true that a lot of the chessed is contingent on the continuity of this borderline abusive lifestyle, and often offered only to those who are committed to the lifestyle. One does not negate the other, and there's no reason why we shouldn't be allowed to talk about only one aspect of the whole picture.

This documentary focuses on the abuses heaped upon those who try to leave, and like a poster said above, other documentaries focus on the good parts. You're a hypocrite if you praise that one but disparage this one. Take the bad with the good. Learn about the entire picture, the entire community, and don't pick and choose to talk about only the things that make you feel all warm and rosy. This is the reality of the lifestyle.

While nowhere near as extreme as the instances shown in the trailer, I have some personal experiences with the difficulties of leaving the community. It bugs me when people try to whitewash these issues in order to feel good about themselves, especially people who know absolutely nothing about the lifestyle and wouldn't survive living it for a week.

I don't know if I'll be watching this documentary. I know some of the people personally and it may be too upsetting for me. I just wanted to comment on the inevitable chessed posts. You're not doing anyone a favor by pretending this doesn't exist.

All is true, Maya. I'm just disturbed at how all chassidic men will now be portrayed as "wife beaters" due to the false testimony of "Etty". I went to school with her. She was always so unstable! I know her husbands family as well. Its just that the world gets to see one side of the story, and that gets used to represent all of chassidic culture.
Page 1 of 13   1  2  3  11  12  13  Next Recent Topics