Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do you tell your child's teachers about health issues?
Previous  1  2

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 11:25 am
It's preschool. So we are not talking about having trouble with "schools" and not finding a place for next year.

If a school responded in any way that made me feel that they are ill equipped to handle my child, and are not willing to get educated on the subject, my child will switch to another school that will be able to accommodate.

My child is a precious neshama who only has one mommy to advocate for him. There is no way that this mommy will allow him to be sitting with an adult all day, who is annoyed or judgmental in any way.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 12:03 pm
I just had this. My son had mild encopresis. He was doing bh very well, but fell back second half when he was in a different environment and schedule.

He is bh getting back but the day before orientation it was terrible. I had to warn the morah. SHE TURNED WHITE! later she told me she's had boys with this issue.

last year I didnt warn the morah, but really he was newly trained, all year kids were training and only at the end of the year did it turn out to be official (he is now over 4).

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 4:23 pm
You absolutely did the right thing by telling the teacher. Better the teacher freak out now than freak out in the event of an emergency or medical event.

Sometimes, they are just nervous about having the extra responsibility because they don't feel like they know what to do. Make sure that you sit down with the teacher and talk to her about how to handle anything that might come up. Type up an info sheet and give it to her with the talk so she has a quick reference guide (keep it as short as possible with bolded words for easy referencing). If you haven't done this yet, reach out to the teacher to schedule a quick 15 minute meeting on this.

Also, in my experience definitely better to tell the teacher on the phone or in person, rather than in writing or by e-mail. That way you can reassure them about anything they are unsure about or answer any questions. Usually, I write on the form "my child has a medical history (sometimes I write a detial or two, but not much), I'd be really happy to discuss it with you further by phone or in person."
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics