Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Freezing soup veggies?

simba

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 12:34 pm
So I made a big pot for Shabbos having in mind to freeze for tom Tov. Can I only freeze the broth? Can I freeze and use the veggies as well?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 12:37 pm
I freeze the broth only. The frozen vegetables from chicken soup are not enjoyable once defrosted unless they've been blended into the soup.
If I want to make use of the veggies (we usually just salt and eat them fresh), I saute lots of onion and garlic, add the veggies and water, heat through until just bubbling. Season with lots of salt to taste blend. Enjoy right away or freeze.

groovy1224

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 12:40 pm
A lot of my friends don't, they say they don't like the texture of frozen soup veggies. (I don't really understand this..soup vegetables are never exactly crunchy!)But it always works perfectly for me. If you are freezing the soup in batches, you can either dole out some veggies in each portion, or you can keep the veggies separate and freeze in a ziploc (or ziplocs). When it's time to defrost the soup, take out as much veggies as you want and defrost together.

simba

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 1:03 pm
Thanks. I froze the veggies separately so in case they come out bad I ain't ruining my soup as well.
For those of you who freeze only broth, do you cook up fresh veggies when serving the soup?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 1:05 pm
simba wrote:
Thanks. I froze the veggies separately so in case they come out bad I ain't ruining my soup as well.
For those of you who freeze only broth, do you cook up fresh veggies when serving the soup?

You can just slice carrots super thin or whatever in to the soup and cook it up.

grace413

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 1:06 pm
I usually add fresh vegetables. Frozen cooked carrots come out mushy. Onion and squash not too bad.

shanie5

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 10:53 pm
I just make "boiled chicken water" with onions and spices. Freeze that. when I want soup, I defrost a container and add fresh veggies.

For Y"T, I will prep fresh veggies for soup, put in ziplock baggies and freeze. When I am ready to cook the soup, I just defrost a container of boiled chicken water and add a bag of frozen fresh veggies. Easy and delish.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus