Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Intellectually Stimulating Shiurim

allcuteonesrtak

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 7:52 am
Some people like lots of stories. (I know I do!)

I'm looking for recommendations for intellectually Stimulating shiurim.
Also, please post what you find intellectually stimulating about it.

Thanks imas!

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 8:01 am
Define what you mean by "intellectually stimulating". Everyone has her own definition.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 9:12 am
Have you check out yutorah?

iammom

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 9:20 am
I find Rabbi Tatz very intellectually stimulating. He is no frills, deep and easy to listen to.

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 9:33 am
I find Rabbi David Fohrman very stimulating. His lectures are very text-based (coming straight from tanach with clearly traceable sources) and he raises original and thought-provoking questions that can often make you look at familiar stories/ideas in a new way.

SpottedBanana

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 10:01 am
Love love love the shiurim of Rabbi Daniel Glatstein on TorahAnytime, particularly those on the parsha. They are chock full of sources, rarely any stories, almost no jokes, and the sources are often Chida, Shelah, Vilna Gaon, etc as well as a number of 17th century Italian sefarim I had never heard of but are very interesting. Some are halacha-focused but some are medrash/storyline focused and I really enjoy the latter. Rabbi Glatstein speaks quickly but clearly and doesn't spend 20 minutes saying the same thing over and over. Happy learning! Smile

allcuteonesrtak

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 12:53 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Have you check out yutorah?

No. Anything specific?

Last edited by allcuteonesrtak on Mon, Sep 11 2017, 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

allcuteonesrtak

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 12:54 pm
zaq wrote:
Define what you mean by "intellectually stimulating". Everyone has her own definition.

That's true. I'm not sure.
Topics may include Medical ethics and historical analysis.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 1:08 pm
allcuteonesrtak wrote:

No. Anything specific?

I will confess to only having listened to Shira Smiles there. Which is a great place to start!
I second the above suggestions, especially Rabbis Fohrman and Tatz. (I've heard Rabbi Glatstein quoted quite a bit but haven't heard enough of him in full.)
ETA: I haven't read the rest of the thread. I'm only commenting on people suggested up to this point.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 3:07 am
I listen regularly to torahanytime.
I like the following speakers,
Rabbi Dovid Orlofsky
Rabbi Daniel Glatstein
Rabbi Yosef Veiner

There are others that I enjoy, except they aren't posted regularly.
I like Navi shiurim. Once you find a speaker you really enjoy, you can check if they have their own website and listen to the archived shiurim.

Seas

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 10:59 am
I highly recommend Rabbi Dovid Roberts. Also Rabbi Noach Eizik Oelbaum.

daagahminayin

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 11:06 am
Rabbi Harvey Belovski

CEF

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 1:59 pm
www.rabbimanning.com

TeachersNotebook

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 11:06 pm
I second R' Dovid Roberts. Never heard of him before Torah Anytime, but his depth of shiur and ability to cite multiple sources left me mindblown. Rabbi Tatz also leaves me a bit mindblown, but some people think of kabalah as "fluffy," so you have to like his style.
R' Glatstein is no frills and has good messages. He doesn't delve into things so deeply that I come away in awe of the depths of Torah. But he has very good messages with good delivery and a wide variety of sources.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 7:25 am
Rabbi YY Jacobson. Some of his classes are on TorahAnytime. Hundreds are on theyeshiva.net. Scroll down the homepage for the women's classes. My MIL lives near the shul where he gives them, and says the streets around her are so crowded with parked cars on Tuesday mornings when he gives the women's classes! The farbregins / kumzitz about RH and YK are amazing, and the Emuna series too!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics