Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
No More Naps?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 9:21 pm
My dd is 1.5 and just started gan from 8 to 1. She used to nap every morning from about 11 to 1, but then with more people in the house in the summer and different schedules, she wasn't napping every morning, which I thought would make it much easier for her to go to gan. But that hasn't happened. She's been falling asleep at 4 or 5, staying up until midnight, and then not waking up until 9/10 in the morning. Yesterday I put her to bed at 6:30 and was all excited about this new schedule, but then she woke up at 8:30 and was crying on and off and wanting to come out of her crib until I took her to bed with me at 10. It seems like her body thought it was a nap and she just couldn't fal back asleep. I don't know what to do! Will she get used to this 6:30 bedtime? Should I try to put her in for a nap right at 1:30, after she eats something? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 8:36 am
Does her/your schedule permit her to take a nap after gan? ie in the early afternoon?

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 8:39 am
Child at that age is a baby and needs a nap badly. My child is 20 months and slept 1 day for 5 minutes at 9 after waking at 6. At 1:45, babysitter totally forgot to give him a nap. He is a very active. Told her to nap him till 3. Why would you take away a nap from such a small baby? I would nap child for at least 1 hour maybe 1.5.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 10:57 am
Today she woke up fine on her own a bit before 8, and really didn't seem to need a nap since she came home. So she went to bed at 8 with her big brother. (Yesterday I put her to bed at 6:30 and then him at 8:30, and I think that's what woke her in the first place.) I guess I'll see how she does tomorrow. It could be all the midnight nights were just too much for her the past while, and a good 12 hours of sleep would be enough for her.

As for sleeping after gan, I did try that originally, but she was then up until 10 or later, as far as I remember. It could be she slept too long though- I've never really woken her from naps. But now her brother gets home around the same time, so I think she would put up too much of a fight anyway. And I'd rather she eats a good lunch than rush her into bed.

I see in my sleep chart here that kids nap until age 5, but I definitely haven't seen that to be the case! My 3 year old definitely doesn't need a nap. I think if she seems as fine tomorrow as she did today (playful, active, happy), then I will try to stick to this schedule more or less, and just try to avoid very late nights as much as possible. With yom tov coming, I'm not sure how much we'll manage to stick to any schedule anyway. If anyone would like to share more experience with this age and gan, I'm all ears!

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 11:01 am
Many kids that age are taking 1 nap a day in the early afternoon but it's not unheard of to give up naps that young and it's sounds like your dd may be already weaned from naps. You can try putting her down at 7:30 for the night to get a bit more overnight sleep. 6:30 was too early it sounds like.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics