Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Hemming pants shortcut??

noosheen

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 8:17 am
I just bought a few pairs of pants for my ever growing (bh!)son but don't feel like spending 10+ Dollars on each pair to get them hemmed. I know how to sew a hem but don't have patience or time to hem 4 pairs of pants.
Is there any thing out there that I can use on my own? Like a mini sewing stitcher? Anyone used one and can recommend which one? Like something I can buy at Walmart?

Thanks!!!

Iymnok

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 8:25 am
Sew them on the seam, going vertically. Then a couple stitches in between to hold the fabric up.
Do you have access to a machine?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 8:39 am
I don't have a machine and constantly need to hem pants. I learned this trick from my sister in law and it's been working for me for years.

Just stitch a few stitches on the seams and a few stitches on the other two sides. So you are basically only making a couple of stitches in four places. It takes about 10 minutes a pair for me to do. I then press it by putting a damp towel over the hemmed area and press with hot iron.
The only downside to this method is if your kids are not careful when putting their pants on the stitching can undo. But for the most part this method always worked for me. I have 4 growing boys ka"h and I don't know how to sew, but this I do All the time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains