Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Exciting toys for Rosh Hashanah?
1  2  Next

muffinsmommy

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 9:17 pm
I want to buy some new toys to keep my kids (ages 3 (boy), 6 (boy) & 9 (girl)) busy over the 3 day Yontef. Something that they won't just play with once and then never touch. We already have magnatiles which are a huge hit, and I was wondering if there's anything else out there that people find that their kids go back to over and over. Thanks!

Cookiegirl

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 9:59 pm
Joinks for the younger kids and Hexabits for the 9 year old. Have found that they really keep the kids busy...

ruchelbuckle

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 10:25 pm
I've never heard of hexabits, so I googled it. Are they really good for a nine year old? It looks for a bit of a younger toy. Am interested to hear your feedback!

Cookiegirl

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 10:44 pm
Hexabits are a little tricky to manipulate- they are small rubberized pieces that have to be twisted to assemble or take apart. It takes some doing...even though they are recommended for 6+, I have found that the ideal ages are really 8 and over. The design/imagination element is great for older kids and younger kids don't seem to have the patience for the manipulation (in my experience). Also, the pieces are triangular when looking at them individually, but the corners are actually where they link to other pieces, so the "finished look" is a hexagon shape. That can be misleading/confusing for a smaller child trying to figure out or plan a design. As far as toys go, this is one of my personal favorites, and because it is not well known, other kids are intrigued by them and they make a great "group activity." Hexabits have been a great investment (they are a bit expensive, but really have provided hours of activity for my kids).

precious

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 10:48 pm
Do you have clics? Mitzva kinder? Board games?

mumofthree

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 12:52 am
My kids also love magnatiles. Most of the time they will combine it with playmobile pcs and mentchies. The small playmobile sets that have lots of accessories are the best options.

Smile1234

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 2:28 am
A friend of mine with kids around all those ages just stocked up on Playmobil for rh/yk. She says her kids love it!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 9:17 am
Would your 6 yo and 9 yo play a board game together? I usually find my kids are excited about new games to last us through a 3 day Y"T and then we put it away for a while as it lsoses its novelty...and take it back out a few months later.

Try card games too. Rat-a-tat Cat for the 6 and 9 yo (my daughter your son's age LOVES this game, he's not too young) as well as Blink -- both are fast games that can be played over and over. Your 3 yo is too young for this type of thing, but can probably be more easily entertained with just about any new toy. Does he go for pretend play type of things? Costumes/dress up stuff, doll (shh, I won't tell anyone -- we got my son a doll and stroller for his 3 yo birthday Tongue Out ), etc

I just went to the used kids' shop and got a floor puzzle for my 4 yo to do (didn't go for something specific, just looked at what they had that I thought would interest him and I didn't have yet)

simba

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 9:24 am
I have a 3 year old and 6 yr old (both boys) and they love their clics and Mitzva Kinder.
I bought police and fire men costumes for cheap and amazon and they get worn every shabbos.

muffinsmommy

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 9:46 am
Thanks so much for all the great ideas! Any suggestions for board games (for the 9 & 6 yr old)?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 2:48 pm
Scrabble Jr. may work for both of them (you match up letters to make up the words). Classics like Trouble, Sorry, Life. ThinkFun games (some are solo play but quite good for alone play like Rush Hour [Jr] ) Somehow I think we mainly do card games here (we also have Uno, for example)

I'm blanking out. We have games for older kids like Ticket to Ride, a game for girls but maybe your son would like it too called Dream Cakes

Rummikub works...

fbmommy

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 3:03 pm
One building toy my kids love is playsticks. Some games that are a big hit: uno, banana split and mancala

OutATowner

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 3:45 pm
Someone gave me tricky fingers, blink, and rush hour jr to use one RH.

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 4:52 pm
With three 3-day yom tovs coming up, in addition to Yom Kippur which tends to be a very long day, this may be a great time to think about doing a toy swap or toy-go-round among your friends. Kids love something different and this way you don't have to worry about spending too much money or overloading your toy closets in order to have something fun to do. You could swap favorites just for the month.

We also love card games. And they're small so you can have a bunch of them before you feel crowded. We love Sleeping Queens, Rat-a-tat Cat, Uno, "Melech Hafalafel," I like Set but my kids are still growing into it. Swish is another cute one.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 5:14 pm
Go Ape is such a fun game! It's like go fish but you have to act out the wacky expressions of the monkeys on each card in order to find matches. Everyone has tons of fun being silly. It's for all ages and a good game for adults to play with the kids too.

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 5:15 pm
Oh hey, we got that in Amazing Savings a couple of months ago! I wonder if they still have it.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 5:18 pm
seeker wrote:
Oh hey, we got that in Amazing Savings a couple of months ago! I wonder if they still have it.

Do you remember the price? I wonder if I overpayed. Smile

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 5:26 pm
Maybe $4? I don't remember. I just thought it looked like a cute concept. The cool ape-shaped box is a bit of a dud, though.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 5:27 pm
Yes I didn't like the idea of the box either. We paid $7.99. Oh well. Cute game!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 11:56 am
Another idea: we get big puzzles (like 500 or 1000 pieces) and leave them on a table and do them over the course of several days. the library branch near our pizza store has an honor system for taking out puzzles.

It happens to be that my 1st and 4th grader are very into puzzles. I knew my 5.5 yo was but not that my 9 yo was until we started this. My husband and the girls and sometimes my 10.5 yo enjoy stopping by the table and finding any pieces they can put in whenever they have down time. They find it very relaxing and they feel very accomplished when it's finished.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur