Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Affordable Schach

little_mage

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 4:33 pm
Our budget is really tight this year, and we can't afford the standard bamboo mats. Does anyone have any ideas of how to find some for a less expensive price? We asked our Rav, but his answer was unilluminating.

simcha2

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 4:35 pm
The crc says certain bamboo sheets from home depot (or maybe lowes, I forget which one) are kosher to use. They are much cheaper.

miami85

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 4:49 pm
simcha2 wrote:
The crc says certain bamboo sheets from home depot (or maybe lowes, I forget which one) are kosher to use. They are much cheaper.

I'm also interested, can you please be more specific

doctorima

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 4:53 pm
I am not taking any halachic responsibility for this, and you should discuss it first with your LOR, but here's more info about the Home Depot mats and Sukkos (note also that it's a few years old, and may no longer be valid if production techniques have changed):

http://forums.dansdeals.com/in.....438.0

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 4:55 pm
http://www.crcweb.org/Schach.pdf

miami85

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 5:11 pm
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ham.....80820

This?

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 5:31 pm
I may be extremely naive and this won't apply at all if you live in a concrete jungle but what about the old fashioned but frugal method called collecting branches and other plant material from trees in your yard or from several neighbors' yards? You don't have to completely cover the sukkah, you just have to have more shade than sun. for cross bars to support the branches, troll some woodworking shops for scrap wood. They often have barrels of scrap sitting outside for the trash hauler.

watergirl

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 7:50 pm
zaq wrote:
I may be extremely naive and this won't apply at all if you live in a concrete jungle but what about the old fashioned but frugal method called collecting branches and other plant material from trees in your yard or from several neighbors' yards? You don't have to completely cover the sukkah, you just have to have more shade than sun. for cross bars to support the branches, troll some woodworking shops for scrap wood. They often have barrels of scrap sitting outside for the trash hauler.

This. The "standard" bamboo mats have only been "standard" for MAYBE 20 years. We've never used them. They cost way too much. The home depot ones that the crc says are kosher are great. The link provides the exact information you need to purchase.

Growing up, we used whatever free stuff we could get from trees.

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 8:01 pm
For everyone quoting the CRC list...

I emailed the CRC. They said that old list about Home Depot mats are NOT valid this year and hey will be putting out a new list. I guess they changed how they made them or something.

You can get tree branches, wood slats or other "natural" items to cover. I know people who have used 1 inch wide wood slats (very thin in depth), bamboo sticks and other items you can find at a Home Depot or similar store. I also have seen people collect branches after the city trims trees before winter comes. Or cut from their own personal trees.

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 8:02 pm
amother wrote:
http://www.crcweb.org/Schach.pdf

Not valid anymore, please remove the link so people don't get confused.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 8:10 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
For everyone quoting the CRC list...

I emailed the CRC. They said that old list about Home Depot mats are NOT valid this year and hey will be putting out a new list. I guess they changed how they made them or something.

You can get tree branches, wood slats or other "natural" items to cover. I know people who have used 1 inch wide wood slats (very thin in depth), bamboo sticks and other items you can find at a Home Depot or similar store. I also have seen people collect branches after the city trims trees before winter comes. Or cut from their own personal trees.

When the girls and I built the frame for ours we decided it would be a family tradition to weave wattle panels for the roof. It's a creative endeavour but willow is easy to obtain here and so are evergreens for the portion of the roof yet to get it's panels.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 9:50 am
LittleDucky wrote:
Not valid anymore, please remove the link so people don't get confused.

It would also be a good idea if the CRC would replace the file on their website with something that said a new version will be uploaded soon, or at least delete the out-of-date file.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 10:09 am
Some non Jewish shops will have for a goodprice around Sukkos

little_mage

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 10:58 am
zaq wrote:

The landlord completely cut down all the branches of anything anywhere on the property a couple of weeks ago. I was talking to someone last night and she said she has a bunch of bamboo that we can come cut, so problem solved for now. Thanks all!

bobeli

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 11:50 am
I have an extra mat but I don't know in what condition, you can come look if you are in brooklyn.
I think is a 10*8

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 3:22 pm
As a german speaker I read the title in That language which meant "chess" and I am like "hu? Affordable chess?!"
Sorry no ideas, just had to share my laugh

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 5:25 pm
amother wrote:
As a german speaker I read the title in That language which meant "chess" and I am like "hu? Affordable chess?!"
Sorry no ideas, just had to share my laugh

Very funny!
some chess sets can be very pricey you know:)

cm

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 6:18 pm
I'm glad you solved your problem.

Another option for people in similar circumstances is to get corn stalks from a farm, if you live in a climate where corn is grown. Use quite a bit, so you will still have adequate coverage in case the leaves shrivel. Even the little pick-your-own farms in the suburbs have plenty, so you can do this even if you don't live in the heartland. Oh memories! This is how sukkot were made when I was growing up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics