Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Tired of indecision

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 12:02 am
I was hoping someone can help me gain a fresh perspective. I'm married with one child. I started college and never finished and I'm going crazy trying to think of what I should go to school, something that I would enjoy. I have isfj personality but I can't match myself. I'm dreaming for a job that has the potential to be flexible, makes a decent salary, doesn't require a million years of school but some time would work...I can't handle blood, don't really want to work with kids, am very organized, great at planning things, smart, would love to see people during the day. I'm sure people will say I'm dreaming...maybe one of you can help me make it a reality? There has to be people out there that are in this category and love their jobs...I'm feeling hopeless and anxious about the future Sad

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 12:19 am
amother wrote:
I was hoping someone can help me gain a fresh perspective. I'm married with one child. I started college and never finished and I'm going crazy trying to think of what I should go to school, something that I would enjoy. I have isfj personality but I can't match myself. I'm dreaming for a job that has the potential to be flexible, makes a decent salary, doesn't require a million years of school but some time would work...I can't handle blood, don't really want to work with kids, am very organized, great at planning things, smart, would love to see people during the day. I'm sure people will say I'm dreaming...maybe one of you can help me make it a reality? There has to be people out there that are in this category and love their jobs...I'm feeling hopeless and anxious about the future Sad

I'm currently in school for accounting. Does that sound like something you would like?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 12:21 am
You sound exactly like a friend of mine. The medical field is your best bet, but my friend said "I don't do bodily fluids or sick people". She ended up becoming an EEG technician, and makes a really good salary. She finished the full course in 18 months.

Because she's been downsized from her old job, she even got all of her training for free!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 10:14 am
About accounting, I know it could just be something I assume-but is it boring? I'm not a big math person but I can do it if it's enjoyable and not just looking at a computer with numbers the whole day. Do you mind describing what it it you?
And thanks I never heard of eeg-is it easy to get a job? My friend recommended sonography but I heard there's no jobs:(
Am I crazy to think there's something out there that I would like?

Boca00

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 8:54 pm
What about an office manager? Based on your description, it seems like something you would do very well at.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 10:51 pm
amother wrote:
About accounting, I know it could just be something I assume-but is it boring? I'm not a big math person but I can do it if it's enjoyable and not just looking at a computer with numbers the whole day. Do you mind describing what it it you?
And thanks I never heard of eeg-is it easy to get a job? My friend recommended sonography but I heard there's no jobs:(
Am I crazy to think there's something out there that I would like?

Sorry I didn't respond right away. I forgot that I had posted.

I initially jumped in with the idea of accounting as the way you described yourself, and the way you described the job you were looking for sounded very much like me, and this is what I am doing. You described yourself as organized, which would really be a good fit for an accountant. You are also dealing with people to some extent, so you're not working alone all the time. And, an accounting degree is relatively quick - usually only a year for either a bachelor's or a master's. But I thought this over, and I think... a lot depends on where you live - different areas have different job opportunities - as far as salary range, job flexibility, etc.

So I was thinking...I wonder if the next poster's idea was better - where I live, they are hiring office workers at pretty decent salaries, and after the first year or two I heard that many companies are easy to deal with as far as flexibility, and/or shortening your hours. And - no college needed, they train you in on the job - so that might be something to look into.

As far as accounting... I think it's a good fit for someone who is organized and is willing to put in the work to learn the material. My professors keep saying that you don't need to have a huge math aptitude to do well in accounting, as the math in accounting is very basic (you know, mostly adding and subtracting, or some very simple algebra). This is in the classroom - I'm pretty sure once you are working there is even less math involved as the computer will do all the heavy lifting. I don't know if you would like it - I can't describe it as similar to anything else I've ever done, but you are definitely working with numbers/computers all day.

Accounting is mostly full time, so this may not be a good fit for you at this time, anyway. I have heard that sonography is full time as well. I don't know anything about EEG, is it similar to sonography?

Whatever you do, look into the job opportunities in your area before you spend a lot of time training for something in which there may be no jobs.

Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics