Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
S/O let's hear from the teachers
Previous  1  2

saw50st8

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 7:23 am
sequoia wrote:
Back in the USSR, my mother taught straight out of high school (10th grade) in a rural school that went through 8th grade. I can't imagine the fear being faced with a class full of kids who are taller and tougher than you. She said the boys gave her hell.

Laura Ingalls Wilder references something similar in her books!

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 9:30 am
Fox wrote:
I worked for 20 years as a teacher. I've taught at vocational colleges; junior colleges; a regional university; a year of Limudei Kodesh at an elementary school BY; part-time classes at a BY high school; and probably a few things I've forgotten.

I hope I didn't damage any of my students, and I would certainly like to consider myself more professional -- as well as kinder -- than some of the teachers described on Imamother.

However, I have one observation I'll share: poor teachers almost invariably mean poor administration and poor supervision.

When I started teaching, my supervising director was in my classroom at least five or six hours a week. She met with me after class every day to review what she'd seen; coach me regarding classroom management; and make suggestions. We constantly reviewed the curriculum and discussed ways to enhance it. She built my confidence by helping me recognize when a student was simply being obnoxious and when it was a sign that I needed to adjust my own attitude.

Hiring well-qualified teachers is meaningless if you're not going to have a well-planned curriculum in the school and/or if you're going to dump teachers in classrooms and wait until parents complain before you check in with them. Unfortunately, that's what happens in too many schools -- both Jewish and non-Jewish.

Though this story about Tiferes Bnos may be outdated, it shows that you don't need to have fabulous, amazing teachers in order to get good results. You need constant training, coaching, and supervision. Tiferes Bnos

I'm so impressesd by the linked article. I remember mrs. amsel as a teacher. I wonder if shes still the principal there

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 11:07 am
sequoia wrote:
Back in the USSR, my mother taught straight out of high school (10th grade) in a rural school that went through 8th grade. I can't imagine the fear being faced with a class full of kids who are taller and tougher than you. She said the boys gave her hell.

Sounds more like the stories of Sara Schenirer's students than other posts on this thread.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 11:26 am
wife2 wrote:
Sometimes it is just a misunderstanding. I had a teacher accuse me falsely of cheating. She wasn't trying to be mean but she didn't understand the situation. I am not excusing her behavior, and to this day I am still scarred by it. But she wasn't being malicious - she just never asked me what happened and jumped to conclusions.

It may not have been malicious, but it's pretty basic that children deserve a chance present their side of the story, just as we'd expect as adults. That it didn't occur to her to do this shows a lack of training. I've dealt with serious cheating, like outright plagiarism, but I always spoke to the student first, without paying any accusations, before proceeding to the next step. As all the teachers in that school did.

Zehava

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 2:11 pm
In general though I have have had many ignorant teachers who had no idea how to handle me in their classrooms, even then I knew they meant well and didn't blame them. Most were relatively young and unaware.
The upper echelons though. ... pure evil.
Narcissistic power-hungry Middle-aged men and women who step on innocent children without a thought. Sometimes the teachers themselves were powerless to stop it.
If teaching is a power trip what is being in charge of an entire school? A narcissists dream. And a nightmarish reality for any child who gets in their way.

sequoia

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 2:17 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Laura Ingalls Wilder references something similar in her books!

Yes, from what she describes, it was incredibly similar to "These Happy Golden Years" - boarding with a family, going home on weekends, one-room schoolhouse, students who are in some cases older and taller than you, unfamiliar environment. What's astonishing is that it was a full century later.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 6:08 pm
Very often we do not get to hear the schools side. A student is suspended or expelled from school, and the family talks about how their child is a great kid, well behaved, the mom might post here about the terrible injustice the awful yeshiva system perpetrated against her innocent child. If she posts here, She will get 55 hugs and dozens of sympathetic responses. The reality is that there is almost always more to the story. The school doesn't get to defend itself as a story a half truths circulate. I'm amazed people seem to accept these stories that without acknowledging that they might not be hearing everything.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics