Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
London

amother
Azure

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 10:25 pm
Without going into details, I've been seeing somebody who lives in London, and I'm exploring the possibility of moving there with my son. (It would be a second marriage.) Anything I should be considering? Thinking about? I obviously won't turn down an amazing man because I'd have to move, but the prospect of it frightens me!

Thanks Smile

Hatemywig

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 10:32 pm
You may get more information if you ask specific questions.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 10:48 pm
I'd think about transferring my career - can I legally work? Do I need to get local crudentials? What community will we live in? Can we afford it? What school is right for my son? If applicable what will this mean for my sons relationship with his father? I'd want to figure if I could afford to fly back 'home' reasonably frequently. I'd also worry about breaking-in socially.

nylon

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 11:16 pm
If you get married (and he is a UK citizen), he can sponsor you for a visa (you can come unmarried and do it there or get married in the USA and apply directly for a spousal visa--be advised marriage is quicker & easier here). He MUST be able to support you--£22,400 minimum income for you & your child. The visa fees are quite expensive now, I think nearly £1000.

you will need to work out custody details with your lawyer.

Schools, etc all depend on many details.

It is a huge thing to move overseas for a fiancé. Take your time and make sure it's right!

Gerbera

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 5:44 am
I did it :-) I'm from Canada my husband is from London and I moved when we got married. Different moving with a child though. Feel free to PM but I worked no problem there. Every profession is diff in terms of transferring credentials etc.

As being able to afford it....london is very expensive! How is this guy living now? Does he have his own place?

Breaking in socially depends on a few factors....pm me for any more questions!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 6:24 am
nylon wrote:
If you get married (and he is a UK citizen), he can sponsor you for a visa (you can come unmarried and do it there or get married in the USA and apply directly for a spousal visa--be advised marriage is quicker & easier here). He MUST be able to support you--£22,400 minimum income for you & your child. The visa fees are quite expensive now, I think nearly £1000.

you will need to work out custody details with your lawyer.

Schools, etc all depend on many details.

It is a huge thing to move overseas for a fiancé. Take your time and make sure it's right!

You can also look into getting EU citizenship, eg german. If you have a grandparent who fled Germany you can do that quite easily, I believe, especially if you have the paperwork. Of course, I have no idea what will happen with EU citizens once Brexit happens.

Nylon is a foreign spouse allowed to work?

nylon

Post Sat, May 13 2017, 11:05 pm
Yes a foreign spouse can work. Not on a fiancé visa but after the wedding it is converted and you can get a job. You can't collect benefits is the thing. (NHS doesn't count)

amother
Lime

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 4:35 am
If you are happy to live in the area where the man you are seeing, lives in, then this would make things much easier for both of you.

If you are okay with it, to tell us the area, we would be able to provide you with much more information and details.

Also to consider is where you belong I.e. chassidish / litvish / MO. etc.

So if you could fill us in a little more and ask specific questions, it would be very helpful.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 7:07 am
amother wrote:

If you are okay with it, to tell us the area, we would be able to provide you with much more information and details.

So if you could fill us in a little more and ask specific questions, it would be very helpful.

Yes there's a big difference between the diffferent areas, eg. golders green and stamford hill, you would be asking a completely different crowd for each, so specifics would help.

jewwoman

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 7:36 am
You can work but u have to apply for a visa. To become a british citizen.
Visa is £1000 but not everyone gets approved.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 10:25 am
OP here: Thank you all so much for your responses! He's a UK citizen and very settled, so it would make things easier. I wouldn't move until we got married ... It's still early but we see where things are headed, and I just want to consider everything... Don't have too many specific questions.

I'd say I'm modern yeshivish... Worried about a social life, mostly.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 11:06 am
amother wrote:
OP here: Thank you all so much for your responses! He's a UK citizen and very settled, so it would make things easier. I wouldn't move until we got married ... It's still early but we see where things are headed, and I just want to consider everything... Don't have too many specific questions.

I'd say I'm modern yeshivish... Worried about a social life, mostly.

London is very big. What area of London are you talking about?

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 9:39 pm
OP here: Sorry, it's been awhile. I'm talking about the Mill Hill area ...

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 10:36 pm
amother wrote:
OP here: Sorry, it's been awhile. I'm talking about the Mill Hill area ...

Is that Hendon?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating