Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why is wearing jeans considered bad for religious men?
Previous  1  2

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 11:18 am
Yes, jeans are bad for men who want to have large families, because stylish jeans are snug and snug trousers reduce male fertility. (Relax, the effect is temporary and vanishes once looser slacks are adopted.) The same holds true for tight trousers or underwear of any style or fabric as well as wallowing in overly hot baths. Other than that, jeans are not bad for men, and if they're baggy in the critical zone, they're not a fertility risk They are the sensible thing to wear during many casual or home maintenance activities like hiking, sukkah building, row boating, picnicking, and so on.

Personally I like denim for "off duty" times. It's a clear indication that I'm on my time now and not on my employer's. I change out of my office-work gear into my denim as soon as I get home every day.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 11:30 am
The issue with jeans is that they are also worn for cultural purposes and sometimes to make a statement. The secular world also has its rules about when wearing jeans isn't appropriate. If they were just clothing those rules wouldn't make sense.

I've seen both Baaley Teshuva and L'havdil OTD write that when they stopped/started wearing jeans is when they really felt they changed their lifestyle.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 11:39 am
amother wrote:
The issue with jeans is that they are also worn for cultural purposes and sometimes to make a statement. The secular world also has its rules about when wearing jeans isn't appropriate. If they were just clothing those rules wouldn't make sense.

I've seen both Baaley Teshuva and L'havdil OTD write that when they stopped/started wearing jeans is when they really felt they changed their lifestyle.

As far as I know, the only statement you make in general culture by wearing jeans is that you are casual and comfortable. I fail to see why that's a bad thing.

Jeans don't belong at the opera or at a funeral. And amazingly enough, most people know how to dress appropriately for the occasion. Do you think Orthodox Jews can't figure out what clothes are appropriate for a particular situation?

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 11:54 am
I think the answer to your question is that it's simply not dignified to wear jeans.

Bnei torah are dignified men and dress accordingly.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 12:00 pm
amother wrote:

I want to hear more about these cultural purposes and the secular rules for jeans.

FWIW jeans don't signify working class here in the west. Carharts are the work pants of preference here. Jeans are just casual wear. If you are building houses, cutting lawns, hanging drywall etc you are gonna wear Carharts. If you repair cars, pump gas, or fix large home appliances you wear the Dickey's work get up of trousers and shirt that your boss rents for you.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 12:20 pm
amother wrote:
I think the answer to your question is that it's simply not dignified to wear jeans.

Confused

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 12:27 pm
These jeans threads make me chuckle because these days jeans are often semi-dressy (think:first date, out for drinks with friends, not weddings) and designer jeans is a huge industry for men and women. They can be casual too, but a lot of blue collar workers wear jumpsuits or other pants on the job, not jeans.

Miri7

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 3:16 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
These jeans threads make me chuckle because these days jeans are often semi-dressy (think:first date, out for drinks with friends, not weddings) and designer jeans is a huge industry for men and women. They can be casual too, but a lot of blue collar workers wear jumpsuits or other pants on the job, not jeans.

I agree - a sharp pair of nice jeans with a crisp shirt and jacket is FAR more dignified looking than a schlubby, dumpy suit with a shirt that's not-quite-white anymore.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 3:18 pm
amother wrote:

I beg to differ. My DH is a Ben Torah, dignified and sometimes wears jeans.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 5:45 pm
Frum Jews are only allowed to wear itchy uncomfortable clothes.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics